- 1 min ago Hyundai Confirms Diesel Engine Upgradation to BS-VI Norms — Will Not Discontinue Diesel Engines
- 1 hr ago Hyundai Kona Electric Launching On 9 July — The Koreans Are Leading The Electric Revolution
- 2 hrs ago New Kia SUV (SP2i) Interior Design Sketches Officially Revealed — Launch Expected Soon
- 3 hrs ago Scooter Spotted Testing Could Be The Bajaj Urbanite — Re-Introduction Of The Bajaj Petrol Scooter?
- Finance April Air Passenger Traffic Falls To A 6-Year Low
- Movies Sudeep Reveals Another Important Detail About Pailwaan! Kiccha's All Praise For This Character
- News In first polls without Jaya-Karunanidhi, DMK stages a massive comeback
- Education SBI Clerk Admit Card 2019 Will Be Released On This Date
- Sports Manchester United to bid for Newcastle star Sean Longstaff
- Technology Amazon EMI offers May 23rd to 26th: You wouldn't want to miss it
- Lifestyle 18 Effective Home Remedies For Asthma
- Travel The Bustling City Of Muzaffarnagar In Uttar Pradesh
Honda Motors has confirmed their plans to introduce electric cars in the Indian market. According to Economic Times, the first Honda electric car for India will be launched sometime in 2023-24 and will be a B-segment hatchback.
The electric car launch in India will be part of the company's global electric rollout, set to begin in China next year. The company is already said to be gathering all the specific requirements, ahead of its launch in the Indian market.
Reports also suggested that the company will no longer wait for the government to set up its electric vehicle policy in the country. Honda has already confirmed their plans of introducing a hybrid version of the popular City sedan in India and will now shift their focus towards EVs.
Honda first entered the Indian market back in 1995 and three years later, introduced their first product, the City sedan. The company also relied heavily on petrol-powered cars. Honda's first small car was introduced in 2009, more than ten years after its entry into the Indian market with the Jazz. While the first diesel-powered car was the Honda Amaze in 2013.
Now Honda Cars India states that they want to avoid playing catch-up when it comes to electric vehicles in the market. Having said this, the company is yet to confirm a specific timeline for the launch of their first electric car in the country.
Reports also suggest that Honda's first electric car will be for urban usage, with an expected range of 150-200km on a single charge. In terms of its hybrid solutions, Honda plans to localise production, making them more affordable and accessible to prospective customers.
Honda is the last among the top-five car brands in India, to introduce electric cars in the market. Other brands such as Maruti Suzuki has already confirmed their first EV for the market in partnership with Toyota. Their first car will be the electric WagonR and is confirmed to be launched in 2020. The company has already been spied testing the electric WagonR on the Indian road on multiple occasions.
Other companies such as Tata Motors and Mahindra have already introduced electric cars in the market with the Tigor and e-Verito, respectively. Hyundai Motors India is also said to be working on smart EVs for the Indian market.
Thoughts On Honda Electric Cars For India
Honda Cars India has confirmed their plans to bring in electric vehicles in the Indian market. With an expected launch in 2023, the first Honda electric car will be a B-segment hatchback and rival the Maruti electric WagonR. The electric car segment in India is slowly gaining momentum, with many manufacturers, seeing it as the future of mobility.