TRENDING ON ONEINDIA
- Between 2004 And 2018, National Parties Collected Rs 8721.14 Crore From Unknown Sources
- India Beats New Zealand In 1st ODI — Catch The Highlights
- New Mahindra Thar Model’s Spy Pics Out Again — Is It The Largest Indian Off-Roader Ever Made?
- Best Smartphones With Android Pie To Buy In India 2019
- What Are MSMEs Expecting From The Interim Budget 2019?
- Ajay Devgn Shares His Opinion On MeToo Movement
- The Surreal Mahoba, An Offbeat Gem In Uttar Pradesh
- Why Sleep With Your Socks On?
Maruti Suzuki is all set to launch its first electric car in 2020. The company will launch the electric version of its WagonR offering as its first EV. According to BusinessLine, Maruti is developing the e-version of the WagonR with Toyota.
According to an official, "WagonR EV will be the first electric car to be launched by the company, in 2020. It will most likely be manufactured at Suzuki's plant in Gujarat as the battery manufacturing facility of the partnership Toyota is also coming up there."
The Electric version of the WagonR will be the first offering from the partnership between the two companies. Toyota has already announced that the company will help Suzuki in developing an ultrahigh-efficiency powertrain.
Maruti Suzuki is also preparing to launch the next generation WagonR in India sometime later this year. The WagonR EV however, will be part of an all-new lightweight platform. The new platform will help bring down the weight of the car considerably.
Maruti however, are still deciding on the which facility to use for the production of the WagonR EV. The standard WagonR model is currently manufactured at the company's Haryana plant in Gurugram.
According to MSIL officials, the production of the EV variant of the WagonR might also be produced in the same facility. Although, the batteries will be sourced from Gujarat.
"There are many options. People think it will be the Gujarat factory because the battery plant is there, but it can be from any of the plants in Manesar or Gurugram (in Haryana)."
Thoughts On The Electric Version Of The WagonR
The Maruti Suzuki WagonR was first launched in 1999. The hatchback offering has sold over 20 lakh units, which is available in both manual and auto gear shift option. The WagonR has seen many updates over the year, with the latest iteration set to launch later this year.