- 11 hrs ago Datsun Car Discounts For November 2020: GO+, GO & Redi-GO Receive Benefits Up To Rs 51,000
- 13 hrs ago Supreme Court To Pass Final Judgment On FADA’s Plea For BS4 Vehicle Registration
- 15 hrs ago Mahindra Thar Secures Four-Star Rating At Global NCAP Crash Tests: Watch The Test Video Here!
- 16 hrs ago 2021 Kawasaki ZX-10R & ZX-10RR Unveiled Globally: India Launch Expected Next Year
- Technology Micromax IN 1b To Go On First Sale Today At 12PM Via Flipkart
- Movies Bigg Boss 14 November 25 Highlights: Rubina & Abhinav Protest Against Captain Kavita
- Sports Sourav Ganguly condoles death of Diego Maradona, tweets "My hero no more, my mad genius rest in peace"
- News Bharat Bandh on November 26: Trade unions to go on nationwide strike today
- Finance Lakshmi Vilas Bank Shares Suspended From Trading From 26 Nov
- Lifestyle Bittersweet Thanksgiving 2020 For Grandma Who Accidentally Texted US Teen In 2016 For Dinner
- Travel 10 Best Places To Visit In Kerala In December
- Education Nainital Bank Admit Card 2020 Released For PO And Clerk, Check Direct Link To Download
The 2020 Mahindra Thar will be available with an optional automatic transmission. Earlier there were speculations and spy shots of an automatic transmission making its way into the new-gen Thar. However, the availability of an automatic transmission on the new-gen off-roader has now been confirmed.
Speaking to Autocar India, Rajesh Jejurika, Executive Director, Auto & Farm Sectors at Mahindra Group confirmed that the 2020 Thar will be making the transition from a normal off-roader to a premium SUV. It will feature a host of new features and will available in a host of configurations including automatic transmission.
Mahindra is expected to launch new-generation Thar in September 2020. The new-gen SUV was expected to arrive much earlier in the country, however, due to the ongoing Covid-19 pandemic, its launch was delayed. The 2020 Thar has undergone a thorough testing phase and has been spied regularly revealing some of the details of the upcoming SUV.
The overall silhouette of the Thar has been retained, it still looks brawny with its exceptional road presence. On the new-gen, the off-road SUV has grown in size and is based on a larger platform as compared to the older (BS4) models. The new platform has been borrowed from other SUVs in the brand's line-up such as the Mahindra Scorpio and the TUV300 Plus.
The exteriors of the 2020 Thar will undergo design revisions. This includes an all-new front fascia with a larger vertical-slat grille, new headlamps, and reworked bumpers at both ends; among others. Apart from that, it will also come with an optional factory-fitted hard-top as well.
Inside, It will feature a fresh design. This includes a new floating touchscreen infotainment system that supports Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, a semi-digital new instrument cluster that features two analogue dials placed on either side of MID, an automatic climate control system, a new steering wheel design with mounted controls, forward-facing rear-seats, and a folding key fob; among others.
Powering the new-generation Thar are expected to be a pair of new BS6 engines. A 2.2-litre turbo-diesel unit and a new 2.0-litre ‘TGDi mStallion' turbo-petrol engine that was showcased at the 2020 Auto Expo. Both engines are expected to come mated to a six-speed manual transmission with a low-ratio gearbox as standard. Although the automatic transmission has been confirmed, the details of the transmission are yet to be revealed. We expect it to be a six-speed torque converter unit.
The 2020 Thar will feature improved crash protection and pedestrian safety to comply with the new crash test norms introduced last year. Other standard safety features such as ABS, a seat-belt reminder, dual front airbags, a speed alert and more will come equipped with the new-gen SUV.
Ahead of its launch, some of the dealers have begun unofficial bookings of the new-generation Mahindra Thar. Once launched, the SUV will rival the likes of Force Gurkha and the upcoming Maruti Suzuki Jimny in the Indian market.
Thoughts About The 2020 Mahindra Thar Automatic Variant Confirmed For Launch
Mahindra aims to offer the upcoming new-gen Thar as a premium off-road SUV with pleasant interiors and an optional automatic transmission. Although the niche off-road SUV community will still choose a manual transmission, customers looking to own the SUV with added convenience will be opting for the automatic variant. It will also help the brand to target a larger audience.