- 1 hr ago MG Hector Plus SUV Launched In India: Prices Start At Rs 13.48 Lakh
- 2 hrs ago Audi Releases Second Teaser For RS7 Sportback Ahead Of 16 July Launch
- 3 hrs ago Mahindra Mojo BS6 Model Launching Soon: Brand Releases Teaser Via Social Media
- 4 hrs ago Toyota Innova Crysta CNG Spied Testing Ahead Of India Launch Later This Year: Spy Pics & Details
- Movies Amitabh And Abhishek Bachchan Clinically Stable; Do Not Require Aggressive Treatment For COVID-19
- Finance Nifty Ends Higher, Bank Nifty Slumps
- News Rajasthan crisis: Sachin Pilot skips CLP meeting, Congress MLAs taken to Jaipur’s Fairmount resort
- Sports Don't provoke Sourav Ganguly! Graeme Smith reveals what happens if Dada is poked
- Technology TRAI Asks Airtel, Vodafone-Idea To Stop Offering Priority Plans
- Lifestyle Mouni Roy, Swara Bhasker Or Aamna Sharif, Whose Light Ethnic Suit Will You Pick For Casual Function?
- Travel 10 Incredible Places To Visit In Rajasthan In July
- Education USA To Withdraw Student Visas If Classes Move Fully Online
The 2020 Mahindra Thar will be available with an optional automatic transmission. Earlier there were speculations and spy shots of an automatic transmission making its way into the new-gen Thar. However, the availability of an automatic transmission on the new-gen off-roader has now been confirmed.
Speaking to Autocar India, Rajesh Jejurika, Executive Director, Auto & Farm Sectors at Mahindra Group confirmed that the 2020 Thar will be making the transition from a normal off-roader to a premium SUV. It will feature a host of new features and will available in a host of configurations including automatic transmission.
Mahindra is expected to launch new-generation Thar in September 2020. The new-gen SUV was expected to arrive much earlier in the country, however, due to the ongoing Covid-19 pandemic, its launch was delayed. The 2020 Thar has undergone a thorough testing phase and has been spied regularly revealing some of the details of the upcoming SUV.
The overall silhouette of the Thar has been retained, it still looks brawny with its exceptional road presence. On the new-gen, the off-road SUV has grown in size and is based on a larger platform as compared to the older (BS4) models. The new platform has been borrowed from other SUVs in the brand's line-up such as the Mahindra Scorpio and the TUV300 Plus.
The exteriors of the 2020 Thar will undergo design revisions. This includes an all-new front fascia with a larger vertical-slat grille, new headlamps, and reworked bumpers at both ends; among others. Apart from that, it will also come with an optional factory-fitted hard-top as well.
Inside, It will feature a fresh design. This includes a new floating touchscreen infotainment system that supports Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, a semi-digital new instrument cluster that features two analogue dials placed on either side of MID, an automatic climate control system, a new steering wheel design with mounted controls, forward-facing rear-seats, and a folding key fob; among others.
Powering the new-generation Thar are expected to be a pair of new BS6 engines. A 2.2-litre turbo-diesel unit and a new 2.0-litre ‘TGDi mStallion' turbo-petrol engine that was showcased at the 2020 Auto Expo. Both engines are expected to come mated to a six-speed manual transmission with a low-ratio gearbox as standard. Although the automatic transmission has been confirmed, the details of the transmission are yet to be revealed. We expect it to be a six-speed torque converter unit.
The 2020 Thar will feature improved crash protection and pedestrian safety to comply with the new crash test norms introduced last year. Other standard safety features such as ABS, a seat-belt reminder, dual front airbags, a speed alert and more will come equipped with the new-gen SUV.
Ahead of its launch, some of the dealers have begun unofficial bookings of the new-generation Mahindra Thar. Once launched, the SUV will rival the likes of Force Gurkha and the upcoming Maruti Suzuki Jimny in the Indian market.
Thoughts About The 2020 Mahindra Thar Automatic Variant Confirmed For Launch
Mahindra aims to offer the upcoming new-gen Thar as a premium off-road SUV with pleasant interiors and an optional automatic transmission. Although the niche off-road SUV community will still choose a manual transmission, customers looking to own the SUV with added convenience will be opting for the automatic variant. It will also help the brand to target a larger audience.