- 3 hrs ago KTM 125 Duke & RC Sales In India: Boost KTM Sales To 50,000 Units In 10 Months
- 4 hrs ago New Renault Kwid Climber Facelift Spied Undisguised Ahead Of Launch In India: Spy Pics & Details
- 6 hrs ago Auto Industry Slowdown: GST On Automobiles Will Not Be Reduced Says GST Council
- 7 hrs ago Ferrari F8 Tributo India Launch Confirmed For Early-2020: Prices For The 488GTB Successor Revealed
- Movies Ranveer Singh, Alia Bhatt Are ECSTATIC About Gully Boy’s Oscar Entry; 'Making A Mark On World Stage'
- Sports PKL 2019: Clinical UP Yoddha end Tamil Thalaivas' playoff chances
- News Rajeev Kumar's anticipatory bail plea rejected
- Lifestyle Priyanka Chopra Jonas Beckons Us To Pair Cycling Shorts With A Breezy Top
- Technology Common 4G LTE Problems and Fixes
- Finance Still Waiting For Income Tax Refund: You Might Have Gone Wrong Here
- Education Top 10 Indian Universities In QS Graduate Employability Rankings 2020
- Travel How To Spend 3 Days In Goa: A Complete Travel Guide
Tata Motors has confirmed that they are working on an electric version of the Nexon SUV for the Indian market. The Tata Nexon Electric will be among the four new EVs scheduled to go on sale in India within the next 18 months.
N Chandrasekaran, Chairman, Tata Motors confirmed the Nexon electric SUV during an interaction with the shareholders at the 74th Annual General Meeting. This is the first official confirmation regarding the Tata Nexon electric over many speculative reports in the past.
However, very little information regarding the Nexon electric SUV is available at this time. It is expected to borrow its battery technology and motor from the upcoming Altroz EV. Also, similar to the Tigor EV in the market, the electric version of the Nexon will also feature a lithium-ion battery pack as well.
Tata Motors is also said to offer Nexon EV with the DC and AC fast-charging technology, similar to the Altroz EV. The electric version of the Altroz premium hatchback was showcased in its concept form at the 2019 Geneva Motor Show; alongside the production-spec Altroz hatchback.
Tata also confirmed that the Altroz EV will come with a range of around 250 to 300km on a single charge. The Tata Nexon Electric is also expected to offer a similar range; making both the products a compelling buy in the market.
Apart from the Nexon EV and the Altroz EV, Tata Motors will also introduce a refreshed version of the Tigor EV in the Indian market. The current Tata Tigor EV is already available in the Indian market, although it is limited to just cabs and fleet operators. There is also a fourth EV in the pipeline from Tata Motors, however, there is currently no information regarding that model as of now.
The current Tata Tigor EV uses a 16.4kWh battery pack, offering a range of around 140km on a single charge. The refreshed model will also see a slight bump in range, at around 200km. The current Tigor EV is available for commercial purposes with a price tag of Rs 9.99 lakh, ex-showroom (Delhi).
Tata Motors, however, isn't the only Indian manufacturer working on an electric compact-SUV. Mahindra is also said to be preparing the launch of the XUV300 electric in the Indian market. The new Mahindra XUV300 will directly rival the upcoming Nexon EV and is said to go on sale sometime in 2020.
Thoughts On The Tata Nexon Electric SUV
The Tata Nexon is among the popular offerings in the compact-SUV segment in the Indian market. The move to introduce an electric version of the Nexon will definitely attract a number of customers. Also, with the recent reduction in GST rates on electric vehicles, Tata Motors will also be able to price the Nexon EV competitively in the Indian market.