- 5 hrs ago Korean Designer Features Hot Water Bath In Car — Where’s The Rest Of The House?
- 6 hrs ago Skoda India Just Rolled Out Its One Hundred Thousandth Rapid — We’re On A Roll!
- 6 hrs ago Weirdest Things Brought To Car Test Drives Includes Snakes & A Horse — Here’s The List
- 6 hrs ago Kia Motors To Officially Unveil The Seltos Tomorrow — Ready For A Power Surprise?
- Sports ICC World Cup 2019: Pant cleared to join India squad at World Cup after Dhawan blow
- News ED arrests two former IL&FS executives in PMLA probe
- Movies DISTURBING! Hrithik Roshan's Sister Sunaina Says, 'My Father SLAPPED Me Because I Love A Muslim Guy'
- Lifestyle International Yoga Day: How To Lose Weight With Yoga
- Technology Xiaomi Teases The Launch Of Its Mi Electric Shaver In India – All You Need To Know
- Finance Bengaluru Enters Top 10 APAC Cities List For Real Estate FDI
- Education SSC CHSL Admit Card 2019 Released For Tier I Examination
- Travel Pangong Lake - The World's Highest Saltwater Lake
Mahindra is currently said to be developing the next-generation Thar SUV for the Indian market. According to Autocar India, the new Mahindra Thar is expected to roll out sometime in 2020, featuring a new diesel engine, as well as a new chassis.
The new diesel engine will be in the form of a 2.0-litre unit producing 140bhp and 300Nm of torque. The new engine will replace the older 2.5-litre diesel unit while also being compliant with the strict BS-VI emission norms of April 2020.
The power output of the new engine is a major bump from the previous unit which produced just 105bhp and 247Nm of torque. The bump in power output will help it compete against its main rival in the Indian market, the Force Gurkha.
The new 2.0-litre diesel engine will also power the next-gen XUV500, which will have a higher output of 180bhp. However, the bump in power output for the Thar will be introduced at a later stage.
Apart from the engine, the new Mahindra Thar will also get a new chassis. This will vastly improve the drivability and comfort of the next-gen Thar. The suspension will also get an update and tuned for on-road use. The new Thar will also have larger overall dimensions as well as a wider track.
The new Gen3 chassis which will underpin the new Thar will offer 10 per cent less wheel articulation. This translates to a decline in its off-road capabilities, however, Mahindra is said to be working towards overcoming this.
In terms of design, the new Mahindra Thar will come with a modern look, yet retaining the character of the original model. The new Thar will also be able to comply with all the latest crash test norms while receiving all the safety equipment. This includes driver-side airbags, ABS and rear parking sensors. The Gen3 chassis is the same platform which also underpins the Scorpio and the TUV range.
Thoughts On The New Mahindra Thar
Mahindra is working on a new Thar for the Indian market, expected to launch in 2020. However, the current model does not comply with the upcoming safety norms of April 2019, as well as the crash test norms of October 2019. This indicates that Mahindra will have to remove the Thar from the market, until the launch of the new Thar in 2020.