- 26 min ago BMW 2 Series Gran Coupe Spotted Testing In India Ahead Of Launch: Spy Pics & Other Details
- 1 hr ago Car Sales Report For May 2020: Maruti Suzuki Registers 18,539 Units Of Sales Post Lockdown
- 2 hrs ago MG Gloster To Be Locally Assembled: Expected India Launch During Diwali
- 3 hrs ago Car Sales Report For May 2020: Toyota Registers 1,639 Units Of Sales Since Resuming Operations
- Sports Justice for George Floyd: Soccer out of touch suppressing on-field activism
- News High-altitude weapon systems being rapidly expanded after Doklam standoff says China
- Lifestyle Why Dry Shaving Is Bad For Your Skin
- Finance India's Unemployment Rate In May Stays At 23%
- Technology Do Not Install Windows 10, Version 2004 Update On Your PC Or Laptop
- Movies Mahesh Babu's Revelation About Having A Crush On This Actress Will Make You Go ‘Aww’!
- Travel 10 Best Places To Visit In North India In June
- Education CBSE Cyber Safety Handbook For Students Classes 9 To 12
Mahindra is currently said to be developing the next-generation Thar SUV for the Indian market. According to Autocar India, the new Mahindra Thar is expected to roll out sometime in 2020, featuring a new diesel engine, as well as a new chassis.
The new diesel engine will be in the form of a 2.0-litre unit producing 140bhp and 300Nm of torque. The new engine will replace the older 2.5-litre diesel unit while also being compliant with the strict BS-VI emission norms of April 2020.
The power output of the new engine is a major bump from the previous unit which produced just 105bhp and 247Nm of torque. The bump in power output will help it compete against its main rival in the Indian market, the Force Gurkha.
The new 2.0-litre diesel engine will also power the next-gen XUV500, which will have a higher output of 180bhp. However, the bump in power output for the Thar will be introduced at a later stage.
Apart from the engine, the new Mahindra Thar will also get a new chassis. This will vastly improve the drivability and comfort of the next-gen Thar. The suspension will also get an update and tuned for on-road use. The new Thar will also have larger overall dimensions as well as a wider track.
The new Gen3 chassis which will underpin the new Thar will offer 10 per cent less wheel articulation. This translates to a decline in its off-road capabilities, however, Mahindra is said to be working towards overcoming this.
In terms of design, the new Mahindra Thar will come with a modern look, yet retaining the character of the original model. The new Thar will also be able to comply with all the latest crash test norms while receiving all the safety equipment. This includes driver-side airbags, ABS and rear parking sensors. The Gen3 chassis is the same platform which also underpins the Scorpio and the TUV range.
Thoughts On The New Mahindra Thar
Mahindra is working on a new Thar for the Indian market, expected to launch in 2020. However, the current model does not comply with the upcoming safety norms of April 2019, as well as the crash test norms of October 2019. This indicates that Mahindra will have to remove the Thar from the market, until the launch of the new Thar in 2020.