TRENDING ON ONEINDIA
- PM Modi Attends Swearing-In Ceremony Of Maldives New President, Ibrahim Mohamed Solih
- Free OnePlus 6T On Upcoming Black Friday Sale — Here's How
- Jawa Vs Royal Enfield — A Brief Comparison
- Salman Khan's Bharat Movie, Hoists Pakistani Flag In Indian Soil; Locals Upset
- The Health Wonders of Arugula: The Mediterranean Wonder Plant
- Did You Know That Cashback On Shopping Is Taxable?
- Winter Destinations In Uttarakhand
- Lakshya Sen Enters Semifinals Of World Junior Badminton Championship
Volkswagen India plans to produce 1.0-litre TSi turbocharged petrol engines in the country. As per rumours, the 1.0-litre unit will be introduced in an upcoming compact-SUV from the brand. The engine might be used in future models of the Polo, Ameo and Vento too.
Volkswagen has already started implementing their future plans for India. This includes a collaboration with Skoda to develop and market all upcoming mass-production models, for both the brands. Volkswagen's renowned MQB platform will be soon be localised to cut production costs.
CarAndBike reports that the new turbocharged 1.0-litre unit will come in two states of tune: 94bhp and 113bhp. Obviously, the small cars such as the Polo and Ameo will sport the 94bhp tune while the bigger models such as the Vento and the upcoming T-Cross (supposedly) will come in the 113bhp format.
The engines will be made from cast aluminium rather than conventional cast iron, for weight savings. They will also belong to the brand's EA211 series of engines.
Currently, Volkswagen Group has three TSi petrol engines in India:
- 1.2-litre: Volkswagen Polo GT and Vento
- 1.8-litre: Skoda Octavia, Volkswagen GTi
- 2.0-litre: Skoda Octavia RS
Regarding the new initiative, Bernhard Maier, Chairman and CEO at Skoda Auto, shared, "Diesel will play a decisive role but I think especially in the lower segments, we are developing extensively a whole bunch of new petrol engines and our 1-litre TSI engine is going to be one of the most efficient engines on the market and I think we will be doing a lot of investments in the future to bring these petrol engines to the same level as the popular diesel engines."
Thoughts On The New 1-Litre TSi Petrol Engines From Volkswagen
Volkswagen India recently downsized their Polo and Ameo models with a seriously-underpowered 1.0-litre naturally-aspirated unit, in the name of fuel efficiency. The engine makes only 75bhp and 95Nm of torque. This was a huge let-down for Volkswagen enthusiasts in the country. Hopefully, the new turbocharged engine will be a performer while not compromising much on fuel efficiency.
*engine images are for representational purposes only.