TRENDING ON ONEINDIA
- Scribe Murder Case: Gurmeet Ram Rahim, 3 Others Get Life Imprisonment
- India vs Australia, 3rd ODI: Preview
- Owning A Maruti Suzuki Is Now A Special Occasion — Here's How
- Xiaomi Mi 9 New Concept Render With Bezel-Less Display And More
- 7 Best SBI Mutual Fund Schemes To Invest Through SIP
- Why A Trip To Tabo Is The Best Himalayan Adventure You Will Ever Have
- Sidharth & Diana Penty's Grand Outfits
- Deepika Padukone Launches Children’s Book With Her Story; Sidharth Malhotra Takes Selfies With Fans
Road Transport and Highways Minister, Nitin Gadkari has announced FASTags for all toll lanes in India, in the next four months. The minister made the announcement at the 58th SIAM Annual Convention in Delhi.
Gadkari also addressed several other issues at the convention, attended by most major automakers and the media. As part of his speech, he announced the decision to introduce RFID FASTags in all 462 toll plazas across the country.
The move to introduce RFID FASTag compliant lanes will help decongest traffic at toll plazas, saving fuel and time of consumers. The NHAI has also announced that these FASTags will be retailed at petrol pumps across the country. This makes it easy for people to purchase their RFID cards.
NHAI has tied-up with Indian Oil, which has the highest number of petrol pumps in the country, to retail the FASTags.
Currently, only 15 to 25 percent of the vehicle owners in India use FASTags. Now, with the technology becoming more easily accessible, the ministry hopes it will encourage more commuters to adopt the technology.
Until now, FASTags were available in certain banks such as SBI, ICICI, Axis and Federal. The RFID cards are also available at the Common Services Centre (CSC) near toll plazas. NHAI has also started selling FASTags online since September last year.
During the convention, apart from the FASTags, Nitin Gadkari also announced the abolishment of Speed governors in commercial vehicles. This is following a mandatory order from the Karnataka High Court, last May.
Thoughts On FASTags In Toll Plazas Across India
FASTag is an RFID based technology, which allows a user to make electronic toll payments. It eliminated the need for cash or card payments entirely. The RFID cards are displayed on the vehicle's windshield and enable automatic deduction of toll charges. This allows the user to cross tolls, without the requirement of stopping and making any payments.
Know more about FASTags and how it works.