- Infiniti Q Inspiration Concept Revealed — To Debut At Detroit Auto Show
- Infiniti QX50 Revealed With World's First Variable Compression Ratio Petrol Engine
- Infiniti Retro Prototype EV To Be Revealed At Pebble Beach 2017
- Infiniti Unveils The Q60 Project Black S Concept — F1 Tech Set To Hit The Road
- 2017 Detroit Motor Show: Infiniti QX50 Concept Revealed
- Is This How Le Mans 2030 Will Look Like?
Infiniti was to reveal a concept EV at the upcoming Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance, but has revealed the car ahead of schedule instead. The result is nothing short of elegance.
Motor Trend has managed to publish pictures of the car revealed in full glory. The Infiniti Prototype 9 draws inspiration from classic race cars, and this, in particular, is based on a barn find somewhere in Japan.
Don't let the retro design fool you though because the car is packed with modern-day tech. The motor, for example, is fully electric. The Infiniti Prototype 9 is powered by a 30kWh battery which has a distant connection to the Nissan Leaf's battery.
The electric motor, placed at the rear makes around 148bhp and 320Nm of torque. Again, one would ponder that the car would be dull on performance — not exactly when combined with aluminium body work that gives the car an overall weight of only 890kg.
The Infiniti Prototype 9 can accelerate from 0 to 100km/h in 5.5 seconds and reach a top speed of 168km/h. The only worrying fact though is the range. Infiniti claims that the Prototype 9 is good for around 20 minutes of track time.
The Infiniti Prototype is a classic example of a retro-modern sports car. The single-seater has all the right old-school charms with the latest tech under its hood. Performance may not be the most impressive part, but as a collector's edition vehicle, the Infiniti ticks all the right boxes.