TRENDING ON ONEINDIA
- Nirbhaya Death Anniversary — A Timeline
- New Mahindra Thar Spy Pics Out — Almost As Big As A Toyota Innova
- India vs Australia: 2nd Test; Day 3 — Full Updates
- Banks May Be Closed For Five Days From December 21
- How To Use TRAI DND iOS App To Block Spam Calls
- Exclusive Interview: Emraan Hashmi Said, "I Don't Take My Films Back Home"
- Siliguri Shopstops: A Bucket List For Shopaholics
- 20 Wonderful Benefits Of Red Spinach
LiveMint reports that Honda is working on a small electric hatchback based on the Brio. Apart from that, Japanese automaker also plans to set up a lithium-ion battery manufacturing unit in the country.
The report also states that Honda will identify the type of electric vehicles to be locally manufactured in India. As per an announcement made by the company, by 2030, 65 percent of its sales will come from electric cars, out of which 15 percent will be pure electric.
The Government of India is also pushing the use of electric vehicles and plans to go all electric by 2030. Now, Honda is planning to be a dominant player in electric vehicle segment in the country. That's the reason why Honda is planning to introduce an affordable electric car which could drive huge sales volume.
Recently Honda has revealed a few electric vehicle concept including the Urban EV and the Sports EV. We could see the production version of both the concepts in the future. Apart from that, Honda is also working on next-gen Brio which could also get an EV variant.
Honda has not revealed any details of the upcoming electric car, but we can expect Honda's first electric vehicle to hit the market by 2020. Honda is likely to manufacture the electric vehicles in India which will be powered by locally-built battery packs which will enable Honda to price the EVs aggressively.
India is expected to emerge as one of the largest electric vehicle markets in the world. Several major automakers are developing EVs for the Indian market. Now, Honda has also joined the bandwagon and plans to launch an affordable electric car in India.