- 8 hrs ago Kia India Registers Highest Ever Monthly Sales - 25,87 Units Sold In September 2022
- 13 hrs ago Skoda India Witnesses 17 % Increase In Sales - Kushaq, Slavia Continue To Perform Well
- 1 day ago 2023 Tata Harrier Spotted Testing - Gets ADAS, New Design & More
- 1 day ago Aston Martin DBX 707 Launched At Rs 4.63 Crore - Bond's Family Car Is In India
- Sports Confident India ready for AFC U-17 qualifying campaign
- News Security beefed up at Mumbai airport over hoax bomb threat
- Movies Bigg Boss 16: Krushna Abhishek Joins Hands With Salman Khan, But There's A Catch
- Education NTA Released ICAR AIEEA Result 2022 For UG programmes; Direct Link Here
- Finance Forgot Your UAN Password? Know How To Reset/Change UAN Password
- Technology Jio, Airtel, and Vi 5G Services in India; Here's How Fast Your Internet Will Be
- Lifestyle 5 DIY Face Scrubs For The Radiant Glow
- Travel List of The Shortest Rivers In The World
During World Electric Vehicle Day, Tata Motors surprised many with the announcement of its upcoming electric vehicle, the Tata Tiago EV - Touted to be the most affordable electric passenger car in India.
The launch of the Tata Tiago EV is most likely to give plenty of boost to the overall sales and further increase the automaker's dominance in the electric passenger vehicle segment in India.
Speaking about dominance, Tata Motors already enjoys a lion's share of the electric passenger vehicle segment in India with more than 87 per cent market share. Moreover, the best-selling electric passenger vehicle in Tata Motors' product portfolio is the Tata Nexon EV.
The launch of the Tata Nexon EV was the turning point for Tata Motors in the electric passenger vehicle segment. The model is powered by a 30.2kWh Li-ion battery pack and a 3 Phase Permanent Magnet Synchronous (PMS) electric motor with 127.23bhp of peak power and 245Nm of peak torque.
This powertrain setup proved to be ideal for many prospective electric vehicle buyers in the country as the model is capable of doing 312km (claimed) on a single charge. Though the real-world range of the Nexon EV is less, it still proved plenty for many electric vehicle buyers in the country.
Other than this, Tata Motors also sold the electric version of the Tigor sub-4m sedan. This model is powered by an advanced 350V Ziptron EV system and uses a 26kWh battery pack. Moreover, the Tata Tigor EV uses a 74bhp electric motor with 170Nm of torque for propulsion.
Apart from that, the Tata Tigor EV takes 65 minutes to charge from 0 to 80 per cent charge using a 25kW fast charger, whereas the same feat in a regular 15A plug point takes 8 hours and 45 minutes, claims the automaker.
Though we expect this powertrain to power the upcoming Tata Tiago EV, being a newer vehicle Tata Motors could introduce a few changes such as a denser battery pack, a more powerful yet efficient electric motor and a few added features as well.
Given the light kerb weight of the hatchback body, we expect the upcoming Tata Tiago EV to have a better range and performance than the Tata Tigor EV. Also, we expect the model to deliver 300km range under ideal conditions.
At present, the Tata Tigor EV range starts from the base XE trim, which is priced at Rs 12.49 lakh (ex-showroom, India) and moves up to Rs 13.64 lakh (ex-showroom, India) for the top-end XZ+ DT trim level. Whereas the Tata Nexon EV range starts from Rs 14.99 lakh (ex-showroom, India) for the base variant and this price goes up to Rs 19.84 lakh (ex-showroom, India) for the top-spec Nexon EV Max.
As such, we expect Tata Motors to price the Tata Tiago EV aggressively with a starting price of just under Rs 11 lakh.
Thoughts About Tata Tiago EV
The launch of the Tata Tiago EV sure looks very promising and the 'most affordable EV' can attract a lot of buyers to the dealerships as well. Overall, we expect this model to further assert the dominance of the company in the electric passenger vehicle segment.