- 14 hrs ago Toyota Land Cruiser India Launch Delayed: 4 Year Waiting Period
- 17 hrs ago Kawasaki Z650RS 50th Anniversary Edition Will Soon Come To India: No Mechanical Updates
- 21 hrs ago Adani Group May Foray Into EV Business In India: Trademark Registered
- 1 day ago Tata Tiago CNG Vs Maruti Suzuki Celerio CNG: Design, Powertrain & More
- News Madhya Pradesh: Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose’s museum in Jabalpur central jail barracks opened for public
- Technology WhatsApp Working On New Feature To Transfer Chats From Android Phone To New iPhone
- Lifestyle Scientists Develop New AI Model To Discover Genetic Risk Factors For Motor Neurone Disease
- Movies Bhaukaal 2 Star Rashmi Rajput On Preparations For Her Character: I Had To Put Up 10 Kgs EXCLUSIVE
- Sports West Indies cruise to nine-wicket victory in first T20I with England
- Education Karnataka SSLC Preparatory Exams 2022 Schedule Announced, Download KSEEB Class 10 Preparatory Date Sheet Here
- Finance This Large Cap Company To Consider Interim Dividend Payment
- Travel Amazing Places To Visit In North India In Winter Of 2022
While the new Mahindra Thar was one of the most awaited launches in the year 2020, the new Force Gurkha SUV was also equally anticipated by hard-core off-road enthusiasts in the country.
Just as the new Mahindra Thar was launched in the country, it became a runaway success for Mahindra as the off-road SUV clocked over 50,000+ bookings in just 6 months despite the pandemic sales slump.
However, this can't be said about the Force Gurkha, as the SUV appeals more to hard-core off-road enthusiasts than lifestyle buyers.
In this comparison, we will compare the new Mahindra Thar and the new Force Gurkha in terms of the overall package.
In terms of design, a majority of people will like the design of the Mahindra Thar as it has the more iconic design language that dates back to the Willys Jeep.
This does not mean that the Force Gurkha is a bad-looking SUV. In fact, the design roots of the Force Gurkha can be traced back to the Mercedes-Benz G-Class.
Overall, the design of both SUVs are iconic, but one's preference for any design over the other depends on their personal taste.
2. Interior & Features
The new Mahindra Thar trumps the Force Gurkha in terms of interior design, overall feel and features.
Stepping inside the new Mahindra Thar, it feels like an SUV that is at least two generations ahead with its upmarket feeling dashboard, 7-inch infotainment unit with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto and many more such features.
Though the new Force Gurkha has a better interior than its predecessor and also features a 7-inch touchscreen infotainment system, the interiors still look very basic and spartan in comparison.
3. Seating & Space
Though both the new Mahindra Thar and the new Force Gurkha can seat four adults, the Force Gurkha can do it better as it offers captain seats with armrests for second-row passengers as well.
Apart from that, in the new Force Gurkha, second-row passengers can get to their seats through the rear tailgate. This makes ingress and egress a lot more convenient for second-row passengers.
Moreover, thanks to the higher roofline, the new Force Gurkha also provides a bit more headroom to its occupants.
The new Mahindra Thar is available with a choice of one petrol and one diesel engine. The 2.0-litre turbocharged petrol engine produces 150bhp and 320Nm of torque, whereas the 2.2-litre diesel engine produces 130bhp and 320 Nm of torque. Gearbox options include a 6-speed manual transmission and a 6-speed automatic transmission.
The new Mahindra Thar also comes with a shift-on-the-fly 4X4 system, a mechanical locking differential and brake locking differential for hardcore off-roading.
On the other hand, the new Force Gurkha is powered by a tried-and-tested 2.6-litre Mercedes derived common rail, direct-injection, turbocharged diesel engine. This engine produces 91bhp and 250Nm of torque. Which is quite low compared to
Unlike the new Mahindra Thar, the sole gearbox option in the new Force Gurkha is a 5-speed manual transmission. However, the Force Gurkha comes with locking differentials on both the front and rear axles for extreme off-road ability.
Apart from that, the new Force Gurkha comes with a factory-fitted snorkel as standard and has an official water-wading capacity of 700mm.
According to Mahindra's official website, the Thar range starts from Rs 13.17 lakh (ex-showroom) for the AX Optional variant, whereas the LX variant starts from Rs 13.79 lakh (ex-showroom).
On the other hand, the Force Gurkha pricing starts from Rs 14.10 lakh (ex-showroom, India).
Both Mahindra Thar and Force Gurkha are excellent off-road SUVs. However, the Mahindra Thar offers a far more appealing package with its powerful engine options, attractive and feature-loaded interiors.
However, the Force Gurkha offers slightly more luggage space and better seating for all its occupants. This makes the Force Gurkha better suited for long trips and overall a better package.
So, if you are a young couple looking for an off-road SUV, the Mahindra Thar will be a better option. On the other hand, if you are looking for a slightly more spacious option, the Force Gurkha will be better suited for your needs.