- 1 hr ago Yamaha Aerox 155 Launched In India; Powered By R15 Sourced 155cc Engine With VVA
- 5 hrs ago New Yamaha R15 V4.0 Launched In India; R15M And Aerox 155 Launched Along
- 9 hrs ago Audi E-Tron GT Launch Tomorrow; Audi Claims 383 Km Range
- 1 day ago Royal Enfield Introduces ‘Make It Yours’ Riding Jackets; Available Soon At Dealership Level
- News Assam, Nagaland CM's hold closed door meetings with NSCN chief
- Movies Kaun Banega Crorepati 13: Contestant Oshin Patwa Couldn't Answer This Rs 12.5 Lakh Question, Can You?
- Finance 2 Stocks To Buy By HDFC Securities For Potential Upside Up To 54%
- Sports IPL 2021: PBKS vs RR: Royals drop Rahul thrice as Punjab skipper becomes second fastest to 3000 IPL runs
- Education SBI Clerk Prelims Result 2021 Declared, Check Direct Link
- Technology Realme GT Neo2 Price Revealed Ahead Of Launch; New Dimensity 1200AI SoC Variant Also Tipped
- Lifestyle Emma Corrin’s Emmy’s 2021 Costume Is Surprising And There Could Be Salem Witch Trials Angle To It
- Travel 8 Beautiful Long Drive Routes In India
The Shelby SuperCars has admitted that the SSC Tuatara never achieved the 500+ km/h top speed. The shocking revelation comes a few months after the brand claimed it had breached the 500km/h barrier.
In October 2020, American supercar manufacturer SSC was all over the headlines for building a car that can travel at speeds beyond 500kmph. It became the ‘world's fastest car' as SSC claimed the Tuatara clocked an average of 508.73km/h.
After the company released the footage of the record-breaking run, the whole automotive world watched it without blinking an eye. However, the whole drama about the top speed unravelled when a YouTuber revealed discrepancies in the footage by doing a few mathematical calculations.
From the footage released, the YouTuber calculated the actual speed the Tuatara was doing. To prove this wrong, the team at SSC did the most American thing. They decided to do another run at the Johnny Bohmer Proving Grounds at the Kennedy Space Centre.
However, this plan backfired for SSC. In the second run, SSC could manage an average top speed of 455.2kmph, which is a long shot away from their claimed top speed from the first run.
Six months after the second run flopped, SSC has finally admitted that the original record-run is not genuine. It is unsure if the top brass of the brand knew about the botched up numbers and if they did, how long they have known it for.
What happened at the run doesn't change the fact that the SSC Tuatara is a beast. Under that sleek carbon-fibre body is a 5.9-litre twin-turbocharged V6 petrol engine that puts out 1,726bhp while gulping E85 fuel.
The engine is paired with a 7-speed AMT gearbox, and the whole car weighs a mere 1,247kg, which is less than a Volkswagen Golf for instance. Further aiding the performance is a well-engineered shell with a Drag-Coefficient of 0.279.
Reports reveal that the brand is planning to do another record run. The SSC Tuatara could achieve the mind-boggling top speed this time around.
Thoughts On SSC Tuatara Top Speed Record Being Fake
Even though SSC did fiddle with the information from the original run, the brand has now admitted its mistake. SSC didn't shy away from the media or its customers regarding this, which is truly commendable. The brand is planning a new record run this time around and could actually pull it off this time. All eyes are now on the upcoming top speed record run.