- 11 hrs ago Largest EV Charging Station In India Opens In Gurugram: Charge Up To 100 EVs Simultaneously
- 14 hrs ago Connected Cars & Their Internet Requirements: Faster & More Secure Internet Tech Needed?
- 17 hrs ago Mercedes Partners With ProLogium To Develop Next-Gen Solid-State EV Batteries
- 19 hrs ago Here Is A List Of Genuine Accessories For Toyota Hilux In India: Scuff Plates, Canopy & More
- Technology Flipkart Electronics Sale 2022: Best Discount Deals On Mid-Range Smartphones
- Movies Bigg Boss 15 Jan 28 Highlights: Karan, Tejasswi & Other Finalists Get Emotional After Watching Their AVs
- Finance Union Budget 2022 Stock Buy: Cement Stock That Could Benefit From Infra Spends
- News India closely following developments in Ukraine, calls for peaceful resolution of situation
- Lifestyle Opinion: Did COVID-19 In India Take Away Safety Net Of Poor School-Going Children?
- Sports ISL 2021-22: Daniel Chima Chukwu on target as Jamshedpur down FC Goa
- Education Assam TET Re-Evaluation Result 2021 Declared, Download Lower Primary, Upper Primary TET Result Here
- Travel Amazing Places To Visit In Puducherry In Winter Of 2022
Mahindra launched the new-generation Thar in October 2020. The new off-road SUV has been well-received in the country. At the time of launch, there were speculations about the company launching the 5-door version of the Thar SUV.
Images are for representation purpose only.
The news quickly died down to the 3-door version's huge success in the Indian market. However, the rumours of the 5-door Thar SUV are back with a recent report from TeamBHP. According to the report, Mahindra could soon start testing the 5-door version of the Thar SUV.
The report also suggests that the 5-door Thar SUV could use the Bolero body for testing. The company could dupe the 5-door Thar test mules as the Bolero to keep a lowkey on the upcoming product offering. It will also not affect the ongoing demand for the 3-door version of the Thar SUV.
The advantages of having two additional doors are important for the Indian market. This enhances the practicality of the off-road SUV with easy ingress and egress to the second-row seating. It could also result in a bigger and practical boot of the SUV.
However, due to the 5-door layout, the Thar SUV could be permanently sold as a hardtop. These are just speculation and rumours that have surfaced in recent times. Mahindra is yet to confirm the developments of the 5-door version of the Thar.
Apart from the additional doors and a roomier cabin on the 5-door Thar SUV, the rest of the features, design and powertrain options are expected to remain the same as the 3-door SUV.
The new-gen Thar is offered in petrol and diesel engine options. This 2.0-litre T-GDi mStallion turbo-petrol engine produces a maximum of 150bhp and a peak torque of 320Nm. While the 2.2-litre mHawk diesel unit dishes out 130bhp and 300Nm of torque.
Engines come mated to either a six-speed manual or a six-speed torque-converter automatic transmission. All varaints come equipped with Shift-On-Fly four-wheel-drive system with mechanical locking differentials as standard.
Due to the practical application of the 5-door Thar SUV, it is expected to be offered in the top-specs LX variant. It is also expected to be fully loaded with all features. This includes a seven-inch touchscreen infotainment system, steering-mounted controls, cruise control,semi-digital instrument cluster, and roof-mounted speakers; among others.
Thoughts About The Mahindra Thar 5-Door Testing Expected To Begin Soon In India
The new-generation Mahindra Thar has become a sensational hit in the Indian market. The SUV has already garnered 50,000 bookings since its launch. However, the company could launch the 5-door version of the off-road SUV to take on the other mid-size SUVs available in the market.
If launched, the Mahindra Thar 5-door SUV will rival the upcoming Maruti Suzuki Jimny 5-door SUV that is also rumoured to launch in India.