- 1 day ago Dual-Tone Colours For TVS Radeon Launched Ahead Of Festive Season; Priced Slightly Higher
- 2 days ago Mercedes-Benz Creates The Most Transparent Retail Experience
- 2 days ago Tata Punch Vs Tata Nexon; Did Tata Accidentally Kill The Nexon?
- 3 days ago MG Astor Bookings Opened: First Batch Gets Sold Out Within 20 Minutes
- Movies Jimmy Sheirgill Reveals Why He Was Intimidated Being Directed By Gulzar In Maachis
- Technology Week 43, 2021 Launch Roundup: Nokia C30, Vivo T1, OPPO K9s, iQOO Z5x, And More
- Sports 'Lucky 13': Babar Azam lords in style as India lose to Pakistan for first time in World Cup
- News NCB's Sameer Wankhede writes to Mumbai top cop, seeks protection from action on 'false charges'
- Finance Government May Present 2 Major Financial Sector Bills In Winter Session
- Lifestyle Over 104.5 Crore COVID-19 Vaccine Doses Provided To States, UTs: Centre
- Travel Himachal Pradesh's Best Winter Destinations
- Education ICSE, ISC Board Exams Revised Datesheet 2021-22 Released By CISCE, Check Time Table Here
Google Digital Car Key has been revealed. At its developer conference on 18 May, 2021, Google has announced the arrival of a 'Digital Car Key.' It is an Android Smartphone-based technology that will be offered along with the rollout of the upcoming Android 12 OS. Users can lock, unlock and even start their car using a smartphone.
Automotive technology has come a long way since the simple, mechanical nature of the first automobile. Today we live in the age of smart vehicles equipped with the internet, over-the-air software updates, remote engine mapping, etc.
With the advent of electric cars, tech-giants ventured into the automotive world too. However, Google on the other hand is a tech company that has been a part of the automotive world for a long time now.
It was in 2009 when Google started working on its self-driving car project. Google then introduced Android Auto to be used in the infotainment units of vehicles. Since then, A majority of OEM as well as aftermarket infotainment units come with Android Auto.
Now Google has announced the arrival of Digital Car Key. It is a feature that will come with the Android 12 OS that allows users to use their smartphone as the keys to their car. Google will work with car manufacturers to effectively implement this tech.
The Google Digital Car Key will use Near Field Communication (NFC) as well as Ultra Wide Band (UWB) radio tech to work in the proximity of the car in question. The car can be unlocked either by asking the app to do so or by simply pressing the unlock button on the car door with the phone in the user's pocket.
The technology is certainly set to be handy and convenient. According to Google, the remote key can be remotely and securely shared with a friend. This can certainly help when a friend or a family member wants to use the car but the owner isn't around.
BMW has already been confirmed to be a partner in this Digital Car Key venture. Images from the presentation reveal a Google Pixel smartphone being used as a car key for a BMW i4. It is obvious that this feature will be made available for other BMW models too, however, the list of cars to get this feature has not been revealed yet.
Thoughts On Google Digital Car Key Being Announced
Advanced technologies have both advantages and disadvantages to it. The biggest advantage of course is the convenience that comes with this feature. Also, one can always show-off by unlocking their car with a smartphone.
However, this also comes with the risk of being hacked. Any gadget with an internet connection is always vulnerable and could fall prey to mischief. Google will do its best to prevent such things from happening, but there are people who can hack into anything.