- 15 hrs ago EMoS WYLD Electric Cruiser Motorcycle Unveiled: Here Are The Details
- 15 hrs ago BMW R 18 Cruiser Launched In India: Prices Start At Rs 18.90 Lakh
- 16 hrs ago Delhi Government Working On Setting Up 200 New EV Charging Stations Across The City Soon
- 1 day ago Ducati Scrambler 1100 Teased Ahead Of Launch: Will Arrive In Two Variants
- Technology Amazon Gaming Days Sale: Up To 50% Discounts On Gaming Gadgets
- Movies Vijay Sethupathi & Taapsee Pannu To Play Double Roles In Their Next?
- Sports Muguruza overcomes Azarenka to set up Halep semifinal in Rome
- Lifestyle World Marrow Donor Day WMDD: What Is Bone Marrow Transplant? Importance And Side Effects
- News Drug case: Kishore Shetty of 'ABCD' fame arrested in Mangaluru
- Finance Public Sector Banks That Offer Best Interest Rate On Savings Account
- Education ICSI Quiz Competition 2020 For Online Current Affairs And General Knowledge
- Travel 10 Best Places To Visit In Andaman and Nicobar Islands In September
Volvo has announced that all its cars going forward will come with a limited top speed of 180km/h. This top speed limiter will be standard across all new Volvo cars sold globally in the future.
The company has introduced this feature as a method to reduce injuries and fatalities from driving cars at high speeds. The company has also introduced a ‘Care Key', which allows Volvo drivers to set additional speed limiters. This can be used when owners are lending their cars to others, including family members, young and/or inexperienced drivers.
Volvo hopes that the combinations of the 180km/h speed limiter with the 'Care Key', sends out a strong message to drivers about the dangers of speeding.
The company stated that since the announcement of the top speed limiter, they have been faced with controversies, with many questioning the rights of carmakers to impose such a technology.
However, Volvo rebutted this by stating that above certain speeds, in-car safety technology and car infrastructure becomes no longer sufficient to protect drivers from injuries in the case of an accident. Hence the decision was taken to proactively go-ahead and limit the top speed of their cars to 180km/h.
Malin Ekholm, Head of Volvo Cars Safety Centre, stated:
"We believe that a carmaker has a responsibility to help improve traffic safety. Our speed-limiting technology, and the dialogue that is initiated, fit that thinking. The speed cap and ‘Care Key' help people reflect and realise that speeding is dangerous, while also providing extra peace of mind and supporting better driver behaviour."
Apart from speeding, Volvo has also identified two other areas of concern: Intoxication and Distraction. Volvo could now be working on introducing safety technology for these areas as well, given their aim of achieving zero traffic injuries and fatalities.
Thoughts About Volvo Cars With Top Speed Limited To 180Km/h
Volvo is the world's leading car manufacturer in terms of vehicle and driver safety. The Swedish brand is known to produce the world's safest cars. Volvo has pioneered a number of safety features on cars, with top speed limiter being its latest safety technology.