- 2 min ago Tata Gravitas Has Been Spotted Testing Ahead Of Its India Launch: Spy Pics & Details
- 23 hrs ago Top Car News Of The Week: Here Are Some Of The Highlights From The Auto Industry Last Week
- 24 hrs ago Top Bike News Of The Week: BMW F 900 R, F 900 XR, Versys 1000, BattRE Scooters Launched & More
- 1 day ago Triumph Scrambler 1200 Bond Edition Revealed: Limited To 250 Units Worldwide
- Sports Legendary hockey player Balbir Singh Sr passes away
- Lifestyle Happy Birthday Karan Johar: Stylish Looks That Proves He Has Distinctive Fashion Sense
- Finance Why Zee Entertainment Shares Could Fall On Tuesday?
- News For bicycle girl Jyoti, studying is the first priority
- Movies Eid 2020: Four Memorable Eid Releases That Bollywood Has Seen Over The Years
- Technology Moto G8 Power Lite Vs Other Budget Smartphones Under Rs. 10,000
- Travel 10 Best Places To Visit In Jammu & Kashmir In May
- Education CBSE Cyber Safety Handbook For Students Classes 9 To 12
Volvo has announced that all its cars going forward will come with a limited top speed of 180km/h. This top speed limiter will be standard across all new Volvo cars sold globally in the future.
The company has introduced this feature as a method to reduce injuries and fatalities from driving cars at high speeds. The company has also introduced a ‘Care Key', which allows Volvo drivers to set additional speed limiters. This can be used when owners are lending their cars to others, including family members, young and/or inexperienced drivers.
Volvo hopes that the combinations of the 180km/h speed limiter with the 'Care Key', sends out a strong message to drivers about the dangers of speeding.
The company stated that since the announcement of the top speed limiter, they have been faced with controversies, with many questioning the rights of carmakers to impose such a technology.
However, Volvo rebutted this by stating that above certain speeds, in-car safety technology and car infrastructure becomes no longer sufficient to protect drivers from injuries in the case of an accident. Hence the decision was taken to proactively go-ahead and limit the top speed of their cars to 180km/h.
Malin Ekholm, Head of Volvo Cars Safety Centre, stated:
"We believe that a carmaker has a responsibility to help improve traffic safety. Our speed-limiting technology, and the dialogue that is initiated, fit that thinking. The speed cap and ‘Care Key' help people reflect and realise that speeding is dangerous, while also providing extra peace of mind and supporting better driver behaviour."
Apart from speeding, Volvo has also identified two other areas of concern: Intoxication and Distraction. Volvo could now be working on introducing safety technology for these areas as well, given their aim of achieving zero traffic injuries and fatalities.
Thoughts About Volvo Cars With Top Speed Limited To 180Km/h
Volvo is the world's leading car manufacturer in terms of vehicle and driver safety. The Swedish brand is known to produce the world's safest cars. Volvo has pioneered a number of safety features on cars, with top speed limiter being its latest safety technology.