- 1 hr ago 2021 Jeep Compass SUV Launched In India: Prices Start At Rs 16.99 Lakh
- 2 hrs ago 2021 Triumph Speed Triple 1200RS Globally Unveiled Ahead Of India Launch: Here Are The Details
- 17 hrs ago New Tata Safari Unveiled Ahead Of Launch: Here Are All Details
- 1 day ago KTM Adventure Trails Riding Programme Launched In 10 Cities: Here Are All Details
- Finance Auto Shares Decline As Govt Proposes Green Tax On Old Vehicles
- Movies Varun Dhawan's IG Story Hints At Shraddha Kapoor's Wedding With Celebrity Photographer Rohan Shrestha
- News CBI court issues arrest warrant against TMC leader Vinay Mishra in cattle smuggling case
- Lifestyle Varun Dhawan And Natasha Dalal Give Picture Perfect Poses On Their Mehendi Ceremony In Pristine White Outfits
- Education JNVST Admit Card 2021 Released For Class 9 Lateral Entry Selection Test
- Technology Samsung Galaxy A52, Galaxy A72 Price Tipped Ahead Of Launch; Premium Smartphones In Offing
- Sports WWE Royal Rumble 2021: Bad Bunny to perform in first-ever performance of history-making album
- Travel Experiential Travel: 13-Year-old Sohan Raghuram Writes About His Unique Trip To Goa
Volkswagen recently announced that the brand will suspend its motorsports activities across the world. The company aims to use resources from its motorsport division towards electrification projects of its vehicles.
The brand is terminating its motorsport activities as part of the company's realignment and further focusing. The Volkswagen Motorsport GmbH workforce will be integrated into Volkswagen AG. Volkswagen Motorsport GmbH based in Hanover, Germany, employs 169 people who will now become part of the Volkswagen AG in Wolfsburg.
Volkswagen was also producing sport Polo GTI R5 catering to the rally racing. The brand has announced that it will stop production by the end of 2020. However, it will continue to support the long-term supply of spare parts for the Polo GTI R5 and Golf GTI TCR for the racing circuit.
The Volkswagen Motorsport division started over five decades ago participating in the Formula V in the 1960s and 70s. The brand later enjoyed many successful victories in the Formula 3 format as well.
Over the years, Volkswagen Motorsport won many championships and trophies. This includes three Dakar Rally wins with the Race Touareg between 2009 and 2011, four Rally World Championship titles with the Polo R WRC between 2013 and 2016, two TCR International titles with the Golf GTI in 2016 and 2017, and three Rallycross World Championship titles with the Polo in 2017, 2018 and in 2020.
Volkswagen holds five international records with the ID.R racing car, including the overall record for Pikes Peak (USA), the electric record for the Nürburgring North Loop (D) and the Tianmen Mountain in China.
Dr Frank Welsch, Member of the Board of Management with responsibility for the Development Division, said, "The Volkswagen brand is on the way to becoming the leading provider for sustainable e-mobility. To this end, we are pooling our strengths and have decided to terminate the Volkswagen brand's own motorsport activities. The motorsport workforce will be integrated into Volkswagen AG. The deep technical expertise of the motorsport employees and the know-how gained from the ID.R project will remain with the company and will help us put further efficient models from the ID. family on the road."
Wilfried von Rath, Member of the Board of Management, VW Group, said, "For decades, the Volkswagen Motorsport GmbH team brought the brand a string of major sporting successes. My warmest thanks go to all employees for so many victories, titles and records throughout the world and for their personal dedication and commitment. We are delighted that we are able to preserve jobs, especially in these challenging times, and will be offering all employees a transfer contract."
The Volkswagen motorsport division in India has released an official statement answering all question about its future operations in the country. It said, "Volkswagen India will continue with its Motorsport program based on ICE vehicles in India. Due to the on-going pandemic, we have recently commenced our Virtual Racing Championship, the first virtual Motorsport championship in India, and are hoping to be back on track in 2021 with our one-make series. Volkswagen Motorsport India will continue in its endeavour to nurture and provide a dynamic platform for young budding talents across the nation."
Thoughts About The Volkswagen Suspends Motorsports Activities Across The World
Volkswagen has given racing fans some of its best laps in various formats across the world. The brand had also conquered the world's toughest rally, the fearsome Dakar several times. This is a testament to the Volkswagen car's capability, as the stock vehicles were turned into full-fledge race-spec machines. However, VW's racing days in Indian lives on for now.