- 5 hrs ago 2021 Honda Rebel 1100 Globally Unveiled: Will It Come To India?
- 5 hrs ago 2021 Volvo S60 Sedan Unveiled: India Launch Scheduled For March Next Year
- 8 hrs ago 2021 Skoda Octavia India Launch Expected Timeline Revealed: Here Are All Details
- 9 hrs ago Supreme Court’s Final Order On FADA’s Plea For BS4 Vehicle Registration
- Sports FanCode to live stream matches in New Zealand for Indian audience
- News 4 killed due to Nivar cyclone in Tamil Nadu: PM Modi speaks to CM, announces relief
- Movies Mammootty's Bilal Is Delayed; The Megastar To Join Hands With Amal Neerad For A New Project?
- Technology Samsung Galaxy S21+ Bags BIS Certification; India Launch Imminent
- Finance India's Fiscal Deficit Reaches 120% Of Yearly Target In Apr-Oct
- Lifestyle Quotes, Wishes And Messages To Share On 50th Wedding Anniversary
- Education Indian Air Force Airmen Result 2020 Declared For Group X And Y, Check Phase-II Details
- Travel Romantic Places for Couples To Visit In India This Holiday Season
Tata Motors has announced the discontinuation of the Tigor JTP and Tiago JTP models in the Indian market. Both models were part of the joint venture between Tata Motors and Jayem Automotive.
The 50:50 joint venture between the two companies was announced back in 2017, with an aim to build performance-oriented version of Tata Motors passenger vehicle range. The result of the partnership was the Tiago JTP and Tigor JTP, both of which were introduced in 2018.
However, with the Indian market currently facing its worst period yet, the joint venture between the two companies faced extreme pressure. Tata Motors stated that the tough market conditions and the limited sales of the two models were among the main reasons for its discontinuation.
The company sent out a statement to stock exchanges, that Tata Motors will be purchasing the 50% shareholdings of Jayem Automotives in JT Special Vehicles Pvt. Ltd. This will make JTSV a fully-owner subsidiary of Tata Motors.
Tata Motors stated, "The Tiago JTP and Tigor JTP that were launched in 2018, gained much appreciation for their styling and performance, forming a loyal follower base."
"However, the passenger car industry witnessed a challenging FY19-20, exacerbated with a mandatory change in regulations and the current COVID-19 pandemic, which has impacted the demand in this niche category of vehicles. In light of this ongoing scenario, both Tata Motors and JayemAutomotives found it prudent to discontinue this venture."
They further added, "Tata Motors will continue to provide all requisite support and service to customers and users of Tiago JTP and Tigor JTP cars at its select dealerships, ensuring hassle-free ownership."
Both the Tata Tiago JTP and Tigor JTP models came powered by a 1.2-litre turbo-petrol engine, producing 114bhp. Apart from the powerful engine, both models also received a number of design tweaks and certain other mechanical updates as well. This includes fatter tyres, reworked suspension setup and many others.
Thoughts On The Tata Tiago JTP & Tigor JTP Discontinuation
The Tata Tiago JTP and Tigor JTP became well-liked by automotive enthusiasts in the country. Both models offered excellent power, along with a sporty character as well. It will be interesting to see if Tata Motors introduce any similar models in the future, once the market stabilises.