- 4 hrs ago 5 Friends, 5 Borders, 5,000 Kilometers & Unlimited Experiences: Great Independence Day Ride Series
- 6 hrs ago Bookings For The All-New Toyota Urban Cruiser Will Commence By The End Of August 2020
- 7 hrs ago BGAUSS Partners With MoneyTap To Offer Attractive Financing Options To Its Customers
- 8 hrs ago Honda Amaze Sales Crosses 4 Lakh Mark Since 2013: Achieves New Milestone
- Sports Halep overcomes Krejcikova test with determined fightback in Prague
- Movies Lokesh Kanagaraj Is Not Directing Kaithi Hindi Remake: To Concentrate On Tamil Cinema!
- News UAE announces normalisation of diplomatic ties with Israel under deal brokered by Trump
- Finance July Retail Inflation Climbs To 6.93% On High Food Prices
- Lifestyle Acupressure For Headache: The Best Pressure Points For Relief And Precautions
- Technology Telegram's Video Calling Feature Now Available For Beta Users
- Travel 10 Best Places To Visit In West Bengal In August
- Education Kargil Vijay Diwas Quotes In English For Students
Toyota Kirloskar Motors (TKM) discontinued the iconic Land Cruiser SUV from the Indian market, ahead of the arrival of the stringent BS6 emission norms. The iconic SUV was available in two variants, the Land Cruiser Prado and the flagship Land Cruiser SUV. Both variants of the SUV are among the most capable off-roaders in the world.
However, with the discontinuation of the two models there was a lot of uncertainty whether or not Toyota will bring back the ‘Land Cruiser' nameplate to India. Now, in an interview with carandbike, Naveen Soni, Senior VP, Sales & Service, Toyota Kirloskar Motors, confirmed that the legendary SUV will make a return to the Indian market soon.
In the interview, Mr Soni confirmed that the company will bring back the product in the future, in some form or the other. He stated, "We are not giving up that product and definitely in some form, shape and size you will see that product coming back."
The Toyota Land Cruiser as mentioned above is one of the most capable off-roaders in the world. The SUV is known to be capable of handling any kind of terrain or environment thrown at it and this has been proven multiple times over the years. The Toyota Land Cruiser's biggest market is the Middle-East, which in 2018 reportedly accounted for 33 per cent of the total global sales of the flagship SUV.
Toyota is said to be working on a facelift version of the Land Cruiser SUV for the international markets. The new Toyota Land Cruiser facelift version is expected to go on sale internationally later this year and is said to be the last of the current-generation model.
The flagship Toyota Land Cruiser previously available in the Indian market was offered with a large 4.5-litre turbocharged V8 diesel engine. This mammoth oil burner churned out 261bhp at 3400rpm and 650Nm of peak torque at 1600rpm. The engine was further mated to a six-speed automatic transmission unit powering all-four wheels via its 4WD system.
The lower-spec Land Cruiser Prado, came with a relatively smaller 3.0-litre turbocharged four-cylinder engine. It produced 171bhp and 410Nm of peak torque and was mated to a five-speed automatic gearbox, sending power to all-four-wheels.
Prices for the Land Cruiser Prado started at around Rs 96 lakh, while the flagship Land Cruiser had a price tag of close to Rs 1.50 crore. All prices were ex-showroom (India).
Thoughts On The Toyota Land Cruiser Making A Comeback To India
The Toyota Land Cruiser is an iconic nameplate across the globe and over the years has achieved almost a legendary status. The Toyota Land Cruiser making a comeback to the Indian market is an exciting prospect and we sure are looking forward to it.