- 5 hrs ago Top Car News Of The Week: Here Are The Highlights From The Auto Industry Of The Week Gone By
- 6 hrs ago Top Bike News Of The Week: Ninja 1000, Z650 & Gixxer 250 BS6 Bikes Launched & More
- 21 hrs ago Hyundai India Exports Over 5,000 Cars In May After Resuming Operations
- 22 hrs ago Volkswagen T-Roc Start Arriving At Dealerships Post Lockdown: Deliveries To Commence Soon
- News Delhi govt seeks Rs 5,000 crore from Centre to pay employees' salaries: Sisodia
- Sports Former Supreme Court judge to hear Umar Akmal's appeal against three-year ban
- Movies Roopa Ganguly Aka Draupadi Says Trains Used To Stop At Stations So People Could Watch Mahabharat
- Technology SpaceX, NASA Liftoff Historic Crewed Mission To ISS
- Lifestyle June 2020: Auspicious Dates For Buying Vehicles In This Month
- Finance Markets Next Week: Global Cues To Remain Key
- Travel 10 Best Places To Visit In North India In June
- Education CBSE Cyber Safety Handbook For Students Classes 9 To 12
The 2020 Mahindra Thar has been spotted testing ahead of its launch in India. Vehicle testing has resumed as the nation-wide lockdown has been eased in certain states across the country.
A spy video from Rushlane reveals completely camouflaged mules testing together on the Indian streets as the restrictions on vehicle movement has been eased in the country. The next-gen Mahindra Thar will be based on a new platform that currently features the TUV300 and the Scorpio.
The upcoming next-generation Thar was expected to be unveiled during the 2020 AutoExpo. However, it was missing from the company's paddock indicating that it was still under testing. The next-gen Thar will be longer, wider, and taller than the current-generation because of its new platform.
The 2020 Mahindra Thar has been spied earlier on multiple occasions revealing changes made to the upcoming off-road SUV. These include a new front fascia with a larger vertical-slat grille, new headlamps, and reworked bumpers at both ends; among others.
The interiors of the next-generation Thar have seen a massive improvement over the previous-gen off-road SUV. The interior updates include a floating touchscreen infotainment system that will support Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, and a new instrument cluster that features two analogue dials with a digital display placed in the centre. It will feature a (FATC) Full Automatic Temperature Control unit as well.
Other updates include a new steering wheel design with mounted controls, forward-facing rear-seats, and a folding key fob; among others. With soft-touch materials placed across the cabin, the interiors are expected to offer a premium look and feel as compared to its previous-gen models.
Mahindra's all-new Thar SUV is expected to be offered with two new powertrain options. These include a 2.0-litre, BS6 compliant turbo-diesel and a ‘TGDi mStallion' turbo-petrol engine that was showcased at the 2020 AutoExpo.
As per the figures revealed at the time of showcase, the 2.0-litre turbo petrol engine develops 187bhp and 380Nm of torque. The 2.0-litre diesel motor is expected to produce 140bhp and 300Nm of torque. Both engines are expected to come mated to a standard six-speed manual transmission with a low-ratio gearbox. There are rumours that Mahindra could offer the 2020 Thar with an optional automatic gearbox — Ahem!
The 2020 Thar will also feature improved crash protection and pedestrian safety and will comply with the new crash test norms that have been in effect from October 2019. Other standard safety features include ABS (Anti-Lock Braking System), a seat-belt reminder, dual front airbags, and a speed alert, all of which are mandated by the new safety laws.
The upcoming Thar is expected to be offered in two versions, a Hard-Top and a factory-fitted Soft-Top, which was not offered in the older-gen model. With all the new changes, the next-gen Thar is also expected to priced slightly higher than the previous models as well.
Once launched, the next-gen Mahindra Thar will rival the upcoming 2020 Force Gurkha and the Maruti Suzuki Jimny, both of which were showcased at the 2020 AutoExpo. In comparison, the Mahindra Thar has a larger cult following in India, however, both its rivals have created a massive buzz ever since their unveiling at the expo.
Thoughts About The 2020 Mahindra Thar Spied As Testing Resumed
Mahindra seems to be getting back on track after the nation-wide lockdown has been eased in India. The Mahindra Thar off-road SUV has been on sale since 2010 in the Indian market and is due for a much needed mid-cycle update from the company. With all the details revealed so far, the next-gen Thar checks all the right boxes for a premium off-road SUV from the company.