- 47 min ago Renault Car Discounts & Year-End Benefits: Special Offers Of Up To Rs 70,000 Across All Models
- 3 hrs ago Bike Sales Report For November 2020 In India: Suzuki Motorcycle Records Over 64,000 Units Sales
- 3 hrs ago Car Sales Report For November 2020: Hyundai Registers 9.4% Growth In Terms Of Domestic Yearly Sales
- 4 hrs ago Indian Oil Launches XP100 Fuel: India’s First 100 Octane Petrol
- News Low-level politics in this fragile situation: Kejriwal lashes out at Amarinder
- Movies PETA Names John Abraham As India's Person Of The Year 2020
- Finance Burger King IPO Oversubscribed: Retail Portion Subscribed 13 Times
- Sports ISL 2020-21: In-form ATK Mohun Bagan eye victory against Odisha FC
- Lifestyle Peppermint Tea: Health Benefits And How To Make
- Technology Vivo V20 Pro Quick Review: Pros, Cons, And The X-Factor
- Education CAT Answer Key 2020: Check CAT Exam Answer Key 2020 Slot 1, 2 And 3
- Travel 10 Best Places To Visit In Rajasthan In December
Car sales in India slowly resumed operations in mid-May 2020 after a shut down of nearly two months in the country, amidst the COVID-19 pandemic. With car companies slowly restarting production, sales and service operations across India have also started.
The car sales report in the month of May 2020, witnessed a drop of 86% in the Indian market. Having said that, here are the sales figures from each state in India and their contribution to the country's total four-wheeler sales last month.
At the top of the list is Karnataka, registering the highest four-wheeler sales last month. The state registered 5,847 units of sales in the month of May 2020, which is a 66.5% drop compared to the same month last year when it registered close to 17,500 units of sales.
Following Karnataka is the state of Kerala, which came in second position with 3,282 units of sales. The southern state of Kerala registered a decline of 80 per cent when compared to sales in May 2019, which stood at 16,569 units.
Uttar Pradesh registered the third-highest car sales in the month of May 2020. Four-wheeler sales in the state registered a 90 per cent decline falling from over 27,000 units in May 2019 to just 2,622 units in the previous month.
Tamil Nadu comes in fourth with 2,227 units of sales in May 2020, while Rajasthan completed the top-five with 2,062 units of sales. Both Tamil Nadu and Rajasthan registered similar declines of around 86 per cent dropping from 16,500 and 14,800 units, respectively.
|Rank||State / UT Car Sales||May'20||May'19||Growth (%)|
|24||Jammu And Kashmir||101||7,082||-98.57|
|29||D & N and D & N||34||340||-99.00|
Maharashtra which registered the highest car sales in May 2019 with 28,687 units fell to seventh place during the previous month. The state registered a drop of 93.46 per cent with just 1,875 units of sales.
Assam, on the other hand, which usually doesn't sit in the top-10 list came in above Maharashtra in sixth position. The state registered 1,923 units of sales last month, which is still a drop of around 72 per cent from 6,881 units during May 2019. Delhi, Punjab and Haryana completed the top-10 states in eighth, ninth and tenth position, respectively.
Thoughts On The State-Wise Car Sales Report For May 2020
Car sales in India have taken a massive hit amidst the COVID-19 pandemic. Car brands are still experiencing low customer sentiments to purchase new vehicles post the lockdown. However, demand seems to be slowly on the rise, with carmakers expecting a couple of months before sales can get back to near-normalcy.