- 7 hrs ago Excess Fuel Filled At Petrol Pumps: Most Times It’s Because Of The Vehicle
- 8 hrs ago Best-Selling Cars In India In June 2020: Maruti Alto Regains Top Slot As Seltos Closes In On Creta
- 9 hrs ago Bajaj Auto Sales Figures For June 2020: Brand Registers 31 Percent Decline In Demand
- 10 hrs ago Nissan Ariya Electric Vehicle To Be Globally Unveiled On 15 July
- Technology Flipkart Discounts On High-Performance Laptops To Buy In India
- Movies Dil Bechara Actress Sanjana Sanghi Clarifies She Was Not Saying Goodbye To Mumbai With Her Post
- Sports Sheffield United 3-1 Tottenham: Berge and Mousset sink Spurs amid VAR controversy
- News Delhi plasma bank: Ten people donate plasma on Day 1; three recipients
- Finance IDBI Bank Enters Rs. 50000 Cr Market-Cap Club;Ranks Ahead Of PNB, IndusInd Bank
- Lifestyle 10 Tips To Keep Your Vagina Healthy
- Travel 10 Incredibly Scenic Places To Visit In South India In July 2020
- Education IIT Madras Launches World’s First Online BSc Degree In Programming And Data Science
At the BMW Group Plant Chennai, sustainability is the top priority. Through a host of initiatives, BMW Group Chennai is taking an active lead towards a green and sustainable future. While significant savings have already been achieved with dedicated efforts, the plant is committed to convert to 100% green electricity by the end of the year. The plant has also launched new initiatives for water conservation and tree plantation.
Thomas Dose, Managing Director, BMW Group Plant Chennai said, "For BMW Group Plant Chennai, the term ‘sustainable production' means investing in our future. Since 2007, our plant has consistently reduced its consumption of non-renewable resources through modern technology, stringent processes and efficiency. This commitment is integrated through clear actions in our business model as well as production processes and has helped us in significantly reducing our footprint. We know the challenges and are rising to meet them by continuously setting higher goals. For BMW Group Plant Chennai, this is the key to a green future."
"A strong culture at BMW Plant Chennai further promotes sustainability. Respect for resources is a part of BMW values and a principle we live by every day. While the management is taking steps to introduce sustainable innovations throughout the infrastructure and facilities, associates are playing an important role by promoting an attitude that is pro-conservation and makes a huge difference in day-to-day working," he further added.
Currently, the plant takes care of 40% of its electricity requirements through a 1350 kW Solar Photovoltaic system. They are working towards becoming a 100% green electricity plant by the end of 2020. Up to 50% of savings have been achieved in light usage through LED lights installation. Besides this, fresh air fans have been replaced by energy-efficient high-volume low-speed (HVLS) fans, saving 30% electricity in the ventilation system.
The plant's water conservation measures are based on three methods: use of rainwater, conservation of freshwater and water treatment. BMW Group Plant Chennai has rainwater harvesting ponds at two locations with a total capacity of 14,25,000 litres. Tanks have been installed across the site to collect rainwater for this purpose. More than 3,40,000 litres of rainwater has been collected so far and utilized for water leak test and other requirements.
The Chennai Group plant also has a green area of 7.7 acres, which is around 25% of the total area. A green belt has been set up with around 2,000 trees of 31 different species as part of a biodiversity pilot project. In another recent tree plantation drive, around 4,000 local species trees are being planted. On World Environment Day every year, the entire team comes together to plant trees inside as well as outside the facility.
Thoughts About The BMW Group Plant Chennai In Sustainable Manufacturing
It is a great method that BMW Group plant Chennai has applied to save and sustain the environment. If every manufacturer keeps contributing to saving the environment in some way or the other it will be of great help for a better future.