- 1 hr ago Gemopai Opens Four New Dealerships In Andhra Pradesh & Telangana: Here Are All Details
- 2 hrs ago BMW G 310 R & G 310 GS Price Hike Announced In India: Here Is The New Price List
- 2 hrs ago Citroen India Inaugurates Country’s First La Maison Showroom In Ahmedabad: Here Are The Details!
- 3 hrs ago Okinawa Dual Electric Scooter Launched In India: Priced At Rs 58,998
- News Farmers reject govt’s offer to suspend farm laws for 18 months, demand repeal
- Sports Tokyo Olympics could go ahead without fans, predicts former IOC vice president Dick Pound
- Technology BSNL Offering Lifetime Validity To Few Customers
- Lifestyle Healthy Foods To Eat During All The Three Trimesters
- Movies Prabhas’ Uncle Krishnam Raju Responds To Rebel Star’s Wedding Rumours; Here’s What He Has To Say!
- Education Do You Know Why India Celebrates Republic Day?
- Finance 4 Secure Investments To Claim Tax Benefits Under Section 80C
- Travel 10 Best Places To Visit In Assam In January 2021
The Brihanmumbai Electric Supply & Transport Undertaking, commonly called BEST, has announced that its fleet has increased by 1,000 buses in a month, and announced that its day to day earnings has crossed the Rs 90 lakh mark. The company ferries over 10 lakh passengers every day.
Reports say that 2,200 buses ferried 2.5 lakh passengers on 8 June once workplaces and stores reopened after the lockdown in Mumbai. The brand now operates 3,200 buses that account for 91 percent of the Undertaking's total fleet.
The company is concentrating heavily towards increasing the number of passengers they ferry, and say that the number is likely to touch the 15 lakh mark by the end of the month. The sheer number of passengers will help the company cross the Rs 1 crore mark in earnings.
The Brihanmumbai Electric Supply & Transport Undertaking has also started selling monthly passes across 29 outlets in the city. Commuters can also renew their passes and avail extensions for passes that could not be used during the lockdown.
The company says there is a large demand for their red buses and they plan to operate across 500 routes within the city, in sync with the State Government's Mission Begin Again initiative.
The brand has put on hold special services for far off suburbs like Vasai-Virar, Badlapur-Kalyan and Panvel, but say the number of commuters has increased even after a reduction in services to ferry essential service staff.
The Brihanmumbai Electric Supply & Transport Undertaking also said that all safety and health related protocols are in place, and that social distancing mandates are being followed.
As is, a BEST bus is allowed to accommodate up to 25 seated passengers, and up to five standees. Passengers can also complain or write to the company in case of violations of the protocols.
Thoughts About The Increase In The Number Of Buses In The BEST Fleet
While the numbers for both, the new fleet size, and the earnings are impressive, it may not have been a wise decision in hindsight. Maharashtra has the highest number of Covid-19 cases, and more lockdowns are in store for citizens. We wonder what the lads at BEST will do once more lockdowns are called for.