- 7 hrs ago Ather Energy To Enter Delhi Market Soon: The 450X To Be Priced Rs 15,000 Lower
- 11 hrs ago Independence Day: India’s Five Most Iconic Cars Which Changed The Landscape Of The Auto Industry
- 11 hrs ago Kia Sonet Spotted For The First Time Post It's World Premiere: Pics & Details
- 12 hrs ago MG ZS Petrol-Powered SUV Spotted Testing Ahead Of India Launch: Spy Pics & Other Details
- Sports Champions League: Barcelona 3-1 Napoli 4-2 agg: Messi shines as Blaugrana set up Bayern clash
- Movies Bigg Boss 14 Teaser: Salman Khan Is Back With Bigg Boss 2020; Is Seen Farming At Panvel Farmhouse
- News Arjun Meghwal tests positive for coronavirus
- Technology Redmi 9 Prime Next Sale Scheduled On August 17
- Lifestyle Dia Mirza Or Rakul Preet Singh, Whose Handloom Saree Will You Choose For The Next Formal Event?
- Finance Mukesh Ambani Is Now The World's 4th Richest; Amasses $22 Billion This Year
- Travel 10 Incredible Places To Visit In Odisha In August 2020
- Education Kargil Vijay Diwas Quotes In English For Students
The Brihanmumbai Electric Supply & Transport Undertaking, commonly called BEST, has announced that its fleet has increased by 1,000 buses in a month, and announced that its day to day earnings has crossed the Rs 90 lakh mark. The company ferries over 10 lakh passengers every day.
Reports say that 2,200 buses ferried 2.5 lakh passengers on 8 June once workplaces and stores reopened after the lockdown in Mumbai. The brand now operates 3,200 buses that account for 91 percent of the Undertaking's total fleet.
The company is concentrating heavily towards increasing the number of passengers they ferry, and say that the number is likely to touch the 15 lakh mark by the end of the month. The sheer number of passengers will help the company cross the Rs 1 crore mark in earnings.
The Brihanmumbai Electric Supply & Transport Undertaking has also started selling monthly passes across 29 outlets in the city. Commuters can also renew their passes and avail extensions for passes that could not be used during the lockdown.
The company says there is a large demand for their red buses and they plan to operate across 500 routes within the city, in sync with the State Government's Mission Begin Again initiative.
The brand has put on hold special services for far off suburbs like Vasai-Virar, Badlapur-Kalyan and Panvel, but say the number of commuters has increased even after a reduction in services to ferry essential service staff.
The Brihanmumbai Electric Supply & Transport Undertaking also said that all safety and health related protocols are in place, and that social distancing mandates are being followed.
As is, a BEST bus is allowed to accommodate up to 25 seated passengers, and up to five standees. Passengers can also complain or write to the company in case of violations of the protocols.
Thoughts About The Increase In The Number Of Buses In The BEST Fleet
While the numbers for both, the new fleet size, and the earnings are impressive, it may not have been a wise decision in hindsight. Maharashtra has the highest number of Covid-19 cases, and more lockdowns are in store for citizens. We wonder what the lads at BEST will do once more lockdowns are called for.