- 15 hrs ago MG Hector & Hector Plus Prices Increase In April — Third Price Hike In 2021
- 1 day ago KTM RC 390 Discontinued In India & Removed From Website: Next-Gen Coming Soon
- 1 day ago Bajaj Platina & CT Motorcycle Line-Up Receives Second Price Hike This Year: Here’s The New Price List
- 1 day ago 2021 Benelli 302R Revealed Ahead Of Launch: Features New Design & Lesser Weight
- Sports IPL 2021: Been playing spin since childhood, so in a way, it's in my blood: Player-of-the-match Nitish Rana
- Movies Abhishek Bachchan Praises Aishwarya Rai Bachchan For Teaching Aaradhya 'What It Means To Be A Bachchan'
- News More Cooch Behar-like killings possible if 'naughty boys' try to take law into their hands, says Dilip Ghosh
- Finance Jana Small Finance Bank Revises Fixed Deposit Interest Rates: Check Latest Rates Here
- Lifestyle Baisakhi 2021: The Story Behind Celebrating This Festival
- Technology Redmi Gaming Smartphone With Dimensity 1200 SoC Launch Tipped For This Month
- Education NEET PG 2021 On April 18, Check COVID-19 Guidelines For Exam Day
- Travel Best Places To Visit In Uttarakhand In April 2021
Apple is said to be going forward with its plans for producing passenger vehicles in the coming year. According to Reuters, the company is said to be aiming at producing electric cars by 2024 using 'breakthrough' battery technology.
The iPhone maker previously had started ' Project Titan' back in 2014, focussed on expanding Apple into the automotive industry. The project even went on to design vehicles from scratch, however, the company re-assessed its goals and shifted its efforts towards software.
Note: Images used are for representational purposes only.
Now, six years down the line the company, the company is once again looking into the project. Apple is said to be aiming at producing a personal vehicle for the mass markets.
With this goal in mind, the company is concentrating on the vehicle's battery design and technology. The company is said to be working on a new battery design, which according to reports could 'radically' reduce costs, while also increasing the vehicle's range.
However, building a mass-market electric vehicle requires a complete supply chain setup. Hence, reports suggest that Apple could be looking at partnering up with other brands to build the electric car for them.
Having said that, reports also suggest that Apple could even end up limiting itself to developing autonomous driving technology and incorporating that into conventional car manufacturers. This is the other option being considered apart from selling a full-fledged Apple-branded car.
Since the company is working on autonomous driving tech, Apple is also said to be looking at external partners for elements such as the 'Lidar' sensors. Lidar offers cars a three-dimensional view of the surroundings, which aids its autonomous driving tech.
The Apple car is said to feature multiple lidar sensors, many of which could be sourced in-house as well. Apple's latest products, the iPhone 12 Pro and iPad Pro, both already come with lidar sensors.
Apart from this, the company is also said to be working on a 'monocell' design for its batteries. This design bulks up the individual cells and frees up space inside the battery pack by eliminating the modules holding the cells in place. The batteries themselves could be made using LFP (Lithium Iron Phosphate), which doesn't overheat as much as standard packs, making it a safer option.
Thoughts On The Apple Electric Self-Driving Car Expected In 2024
Apple has been dabbling at the thought of introducing a passenger vehicle since 2014. The company now seems to be in a better place to make this finally happen and an Apple-branded car could soon be a reality, come 2024.