- 1 hr ago 725 Kilometers On A Single Charge — Here's The Lightyear One
- 2 hrs ago The Platypus Ocean Blue — James Bond's American Counterpart Approves
- 4 hrs ago 2019 BMW S 1000 RR Launched In India — Prices Start At Rs 18.50 Lakh
- 5 hrs ago New Hyundai Elite i20 Spied Testing In India — Next-Generation Elite i20 Launch Expected In 2020
- News MP govt to ammend law, cow vigilantes can get up to 5-yr jail for violence
- Finance SEBI Approves DVR Shares Issuance Framework
- Movies Mammootty Starrer Bilal's Pre-production Work Is In Full Swing?
- Sports ICC World Cup 2019: New Zealand won’t let one defeat derail them, they will stay calm: Daniel Vettori
- Lifestyle Bodybuilder Uses Oil Injections To Increase Muscle Size
- Technology Realme 3 New Diamond Red Color Variant Shows Up Online
- Education Top 10 Indian Universities In QS World University Rankings 2020
- Travel Pangong Lake - The World's Highest Saltwater Lake
WhatsApp's ex-CEO and co-founder, Jan Koum, is selling a part of his incredible Porsche collection since he has too many of them lying around. As much as it sounds absurd and exaggerated, the WhatsApp boss will be selling 10 Porsche models just because he doesn't have the time to drive them — talk about first world problems!
Petrolicious says that Jan Koum is offering the cars for sale through Gooding & Company's annual Amelia Island auction, on 8 March 2019. Among the ten, three drool-worthy yellow classic 911s will also go under the hammer.
"Many of these Porsches offered for sale are the best examples in the world and they are all an important part of my collection," Jan commented.
"If I had unlimited time and unlimited garage space, I would never sell any of them, but nevertheless I'll be very happy to see the next owner enjoy driving these special cars on the road or on the racetrack; just as Porsche intended for them to be used," he further added.
Porsche has always been about the 911 range. The timeless design, engaging rear-engine setup, unparalleled motorsports heritage and of course, the driving experience; are some factors which make it one of the best sportscar/supercar range you can buy.
A good majority of car enthusiasts across the globe will have at least one Porsche 911 model as his/her garage goal. And even in lands where only yellow Lamborghinis and red Ferraris are often considered the epitome of automotive flamboyance, you can find a good portfolio of Porsche owners — the tasteful lot.
Coming back to the WhatsApp boss's car collection, some of the models might not be familiar to you even if you are a hardcore Porsche fanatic.
To start with, the yellow trio goes like this:
- 1992 964 Carrea RS in PTS Blossom Yellow — 1/1910 (1 of 1910) units ever made
- 1993 964 Carrera RS 3.8 in Speed Yellow — 1/55 (1/12 in Speed Yellow)
- 1995 993 Carrera RS 3.8 in Speed Yellow — the final air-cooled Carrera RS
These are the other 911 models for sale:
- 2008 997 GT3 RS 3.6 in RS Green — 1/53 North American examples
- 2010 997 GT3 RS 3.8 in Grey Black + Red — carries the original launch-spec
- 2011 997 GT3 RS 4.0 in 'Carrara' White + Red — 1/600 in the world and 1/158 North American specs
- 2011 997 GT2 RS in Carrera White + Black — 1/500 ever made and 1/142 which came to the US
Finally, the modern choices:
- 2015 918 Spyder — 1/7 in Liquid Metal Chrome Blue
- 2016 Cayman GT4 — track-focussed spec in Signal Yellow
- 2016 911 R — 1/991 units with original delivery packaging and stickers from the factory
As mentioned before, this is just a small part of Jan's insane car collection. He is a true hero for all petrolheads alike and has even set an example by stepping down from his managerial position at Facebook (WhatsApp is owned by Facebook), just so that he can concentrate on collecting more Porsches.
"For me, a Porsche always represented the epitome of success," says Jan Koum.
Thoughts On The Porsche Collection Of WhatsApp's Ex-CEO
Jan Koum has surely raised the benchmark of garage goals for each and every car enthusiast out there. Normal people would probably see this as an ostentatious act and only those like us would understand this. Cars are some of the best machines man has ever made. With time, they've become even more than just a machine for many. Are you one of them?
Image Source: Gooding & Company