- 6 hrs ago EMoS WYLD Electric Cruiser Motorcycle Unveiled: Here Are The Details
- 6 hrs ago BMW R 18 Cruiser Launched In India: Prices Start At Rs 18.90 Lakh
- 7 hrs ago Delhi Government Working On Setting Up 200 New EV Charging Stations Across The City Soon
- 24 hrs ago Ducati Scrambler 1100 Teased Ahead Of Launch: Will Arrive In Two Variants
- Technology Oppo Reno 4 Pro Special Edition India Launch Set On September 24: Report
- Sports IPL 2020: Kings XI Punjab ropes in a range of sponsors
- Movies Kangana Ranaut Called Uneducated By Meena Kumari’s Step-son; 'She Inflicted Trauma On Our Family'
- News No decision to discontinue printing of Rs 2,000 note: Govt
- Lifestyle India Couture Week 2020: Our Favourite 5 Bridal Wear Picks From Suneet Varma’s Stellar Collection
- Finance Public Sector Banks That Offer Best Interest Rate On Savings Account
- Education ICSI Quiz Competition 2020 For Online Current Affairs And General Knowledge
- Travel 10 Best Places To Visit In Andaman and Nicobar Islands In September
Tata Motors is all set to introduce the Gravitas SUV in the Indian market in February 2020. The Tata Gravitas will be the brand's flagship SUV based on the popular Harrier offering, launched early this year.
Once launched in India, the Tata Gravitas will initially be available in a single-engine option. This includes a re-tuned version of the same engine as on the Harrier, a 2.0-litre four-cylinder diesel unit.
The engine on the Gravitas churns out a higher power output of 173bhp and 350Nm of torque; compared to 140bhp on the Harrier. The engine is further mated to a standard six-speed manual gearbox.
However, ever since the launch of the Harrier, there have been reports suggesting the development of a petrol engine from the brand as well. This brand-new in-house developed petrol engine is expected to be introduced very soon.
According to CarDekho, the new petrol engine comes in the form of a 1.6-litre unit, which is now expected to debut on the Tata Gravitas. This engine could also come with a turbocharged unit, similar to most of its rivals in the SUV segment.
The company, however, is yet to finalise the engine development, hence its specification still remains unknown. Tata Motors is, however, working towards introducing the new petrol engine in the Indian market in the second half of 2020.
The new petrol engine will be introduced on both the Gravitas and the Harrier SUVs at around the same timeframe. However, this timeline is again yet to be confirmed by Tata Motors. We also expect, Tata Motors to offer the petrol engine with different states-of-tune for the Harrier and the Gravitas; similar to its diesel engine offering.
Apart from the petrol engine, the company is also said to be working on the introduction of an automatic transmission system for both cars. The Tata Harrier and the Gravitas will initially be introduced with a six-speed torque-converter automatic gearbox.
However, reports suggest that the company is working on developing a DCT transmission as well. Once developed, the new DCT transmission will replace the torque-converter units on both the models.
The Tata Gravitas was showcased as the ‘Buzzard' earlier this year at the 2019 Geneva Motor Show. The Gravitas is a seven-seater SUV based on the Harrier, carrying similar design, features and equipment, along with a few additional as well.
The seven-seater SUV is, however, part of the same OMEGA architecture as the Harrier and will also be part of Tata Motors' latest ‘Impact 2.0' design language.
Thoughts On The Tata Gravitas Petrol Variant Launch In India
The Tata Gravitas will be positioned a segment above the Harrier, alongside the Hexa SUV. It will also be priced at a premium compared to the Harrier; in the range of Rs 15 lakh, ex-showroom. Once launched in February 2020, the Tata Gravitas will take on the likes of the Ford Endeavour, Toyota Fortuner, Mahindra Alturas G4 and the Skoda Kodiaq in the Indian market.