- 1 hr ago Tamil Nadu Announced A New EV Policy: Aims At Becoming EV Hub Of India
- 1 hr ago Maruti Suzuki WagonR-Based XL5 Premium Hatchback Spotted Testing
- 2 hrs ago Mahindra Car Sales India August 2019: Bolero Becomes Brand’s Top-Seller Yet Again
- 2 hrs ago Renault Triber First Drive Review — The Budget Friendly MPV
- Movies Jio MAMI 21st Mumbai Film Festival: These 10 Films Will Compete In The India Gold Section
- Sports Vijay Hazare Trophy: Rishabh Pant, Navdeep Saini named in Delhi squad for Hazare Trophy, Dhruv Shorey to lead
- News Terrorists come to India from neighbouring countries, not Moon: EU parliamentarians slam Pak
- Lifestyle Lip Stain: What is It And How To Use It
- Education What Is CBSE Private Candidate? Know About Eligibility, Form, Admit Card And Result
- Technology Dead Russian Satellite Debris Might Be Huge Threat To Genesis II Spacecraft
- Finance Airtel Payments Bank Launches "Bharosa" Savings Account
- Travel Cycling for beginners: The basics any beginner cyclists should know
German sportscar maker Porsche has revealed the production-spec 911 Speedster at the 2019 New York Auto Show. The new 911 Speedster is based on the 991.2 GT3 and will be limited to just 1,948 units worldwide with bookings set to start on May 7, 2019. Th 2019 911 Speedster is the 9th car from Porsche to bear the Speedster name.
The 911 Speedster was first unveiled as a concept at last year's Paris Motor Show to commemorate the brand's 70th anniversary. The new topless sports car pays homage to German marque's first ever car, the 1948 356 Speedster, which was also the first Porsche to bear the Speedster name.
Underneath the skin, the new Porsche 911 Speedster is based on the hardcore previous-gen 911.2 GT3 sports car. The chassis of the new Speedster is directly taken from the track focused car as is the motorsports derived powerplant.
The 911 Speedster is powered by a 4.0-litre flat six engine as the GT3 but Porsche has enhanced the powerplant with individual throttle bodies that make the throttle response even sharper, just like in the 911 GT3 R race car. Due to the modifications the new engine now produces 502bhp and 469Nm of torque which is sent to the rear wheels by a 6-speed manual gearbox, something that should make every Porsche enthusiast very happy.
The six-speed gearbox is part of the diet that the 911 Speedster has been put on to keep the weight down. Fitting the Speedster with the manual gearbox saves around 18 kilogrammes. Other changes done to save weight include a manually operated tonneau cover that is held in place by Tenax buttons, instead of the electrically operated softtop roof.
Other dietary tricks include the use of carbon fibre for the front fender, rear decklid and boot. Porsche has even removed the air-conditioning system from the car but owners can opt to bring it back to ensure they keep themselves cool while driving abou in the sun.
All the weightsaving tricks mean that the Porsche 911 Speedster will sprint from 0–100km/h in just 3.8 seconds which is a tenth of a second faster than the 991.2 GT3 with the manual gearbox. The top speed of the 911 Speedster is an impressive 309km/h.