- 5 hrs ago EV Charger Installation In Delhi Becomes Easier: New Application Process Implemented
- 9 hrs ago HOP Leo & Lyf Electric Scooters Launched In India At Rs 65,500
- 12 hrs ago 2021 BMW S 1000 R Launched In India At Rs 17.90 Lakh
- 14 hrs ago 2021 Maruti Suzuki Celerio Design Patent Images Leaked Ahead Of India Launch: Details
- Technology Flipkart Big Saving Days Sale: Discount Offer On New Apple iPhones
- Movies Exclusive: Rumi Jaffery Writes On Sushant Singh Rajput - Read His Heartfelt Note
- Sports Euro 2020: Hungary 0-3 Portugal: Ronaldo makes history as holders stage late show
- News Deaths due to COVID-19 in the United States hit 600,000, equal to yearly cancer toll
- Finance Fitch Affirms Adani Ports at 'BBB-'; Outlook Negative
- Education ISRO Offering 3 Free Online Courses For Students And Professionals
- Lifestyle Sonam Kapoor Ahuja Exudes Vintage Vibes With Her Gorgeous Ivory-Hued Midi Dress; Gives Purse Goals Too!
- Travel 10 Best Places To Visit In Mizoram In June 2021
Hyundai is testing the next-gen i20 in India. The third-gen Hyundai i20 has been spotted while being tested near the company's factory in Sriperumbudur, Chennai. The premium next-gen premium hatchback from the Korean auto giant was heavily camouflaged and hence the design details were hidden.
However, it reveals just enough to know that the 2020 Hyundai i20 will come with several design changes as it is not a facelift but is a next-gen model. IAB has posted images of the new Hyundai i20 that was spotted testing alongside the next-gen Hyundai i10.
Hyundai has tried their best at keeping the design details of the car hidden as it didn't just come with camouflage wrap but also wore a tarp at the rear and the side to hide the creases in the bodywork.
However, the diamond-cut alloy wheels and the wide and low stance clearly give it away that it is the Hyundai i20. The 2020 Hyundai i20 is said to be based on the same platform as the current-gen hatchback, but will have significant changes to accommodate new engine options.
Quite obviously, the next-gen Hyundai i20 will have to be BS-VI emissions norms compliant and that is exactly why Hyundai will be aiming to bring in more engine options. Hyundai will almost certainly power the next-gen i20 with BS-VI versions of the 1.2-litre petrol and 1.4-litre diesel engines currently on offer with the Hyundai i20 Elite.
The petrol engine currently puts out 81.86bhp and 114.73Nm while the diesel engine pushes out 88.76bhp and 219.66Nm. They are available either with a 5-speed manual or a CVT as gearbox options. It is unclear at the moment if the specs will remain the same on the next-gen i20 as well.
Alongside this, we suspect that Hyundai will also launch the new 1.0-litre T-GDI turbo-petrol engine that made its debut in the newly launched Hyundai Venue compact SUV. Will it be launched with the 7-speed DCT seen in the Venue, is yet another question that remains unanswered at the moment.
Hyundai has incurred lots of costs to localise production of this engine and this surely wouldn't have been done keeping in mind just the Venue. Hyundai will want to push the drivetrain into other models as well. The top-spec variants of the next-gen Hyundai i20 might just come with this engine option in two states of tune — 98.6bhp and 118.3bhp.
The launch of the next-gen i20 could be the opportunity for Hyundai to launch its 'n' models in India. Hyundai N is the Korean auto manufacturer's sporty, performance car division and several international markets get the i20 N which is a more powerful, sportier version of the i20 we have in India.
Would it make its debut? Only time can tell. We do know that Hyundai N will make its way to the Indian market within the next three years. In terms of design, the next-gen Hyundai i20 is expected to come with sharper, sleeker lines.
Up front, there will be full LED headlamps with integrated LED DRLs and the rear too will feature LED tail lamps. The spy shots clearly reveal that the rear quarter glass has been removed to give way to a larger window. The interiors will carry the same premium feel of the current-gen but will come with more equipment and connected infotainment systems.
Thoughts On Next-Gen Hyundai i20 Spotted Testing In India
The i20 is one of Hyundai's best-selling cars in India. It feels premium and can easily be called one of the best-looking cars in its segment. The next-gen i20 is expected to take this to the next level, with new engine options and more equipment.