- 17 hrs ago Maruti Suzuki S-Presso India Launch Confirmed For The 30th Of September: Details & Specs
- 21 hrs ago Benling Aura Electric Scooter Launching In September: Will Rival The Ather 450 In India
- 22 hrs ago Kia Seltos Top Features: Here Are The Key Features Available On The Kia Seltos SUV
- 23 hrs ago Maruti XL6 Official Accessories Launched: Gets Roof Spoiler, Carpet Mats & More!
- Sports PKL 2019 Preview: Dabang Delhi keen to maintain winning streak against UP Yoddha
- Lifestyle LFW W/F 2019 Day 4: Ananya Pandey's Make-up Look Will Make You Swoon
- News Mann ki Baat LIVE: Mahatma Gandhiji shared an unbreakable bond with truth, says Modi
- Technology Differences Between PUBG Mobile And PUBG Mobile Lite
- Movies Bigg Boss 13 Promo OUT! Salman Khan Announces BIG TWIST; Reveals This Season Will Be ‘Tedha’!
- Finance Gold Scales To Rs. 38,600 On Fed Powell Comments And Grim Trade War Outlook
- Education NTA To Conduct JNU Entrance Test JNUET In May 2020
- Travel Cycling for beginners: The basics any beginner cyclists should know
The Ministry of Road Transport and Highways has confirmed the official date for the implementation of a new, uniform driving license and vehicle registration certificate. The government had announced in October 2018 that it would soon roll out driving licenses and registration certificates with exactly the same design, colour and printed information across all states and union territories.
The system was supposed to be implemented in July this year but according to media reports, the government has now announced that the new system will be effective starting October 01, 2019.
It will be a smart-card with an embedded memory chip and a QR code that can be used by policemen across the country to access information about the driver or the vehicle. The uniform smart-card system allows the government to electronically link data stored on a central server, to each card.
This way, the traffic police and RTO authorities will be able to access the driver's information and all the penalties he/she has been slapped with, in the last ten years. The uniform system will enable the government to create a centralised database of all the drivers and riders in the country.
If the driver is differently-abled, the new smart-cards will contain information about it and will also mention the modifications done to his/her car to make it suitable for them. Designs of the new licenses and registration certificates have been released and it does contain a lot of information on both sides.
The backside of the card gives out information about the category of motor vehicles the person is allowed to drive and it also has an emergency contact number. The registration certificate will now have imprinted on it, the fuel type of the vehicle and the emissions category it falls under.
Thoughts On Nation-Wide Uniform Driving License & Registration Implementation From October
Having a similar driving license and registration certificate across the entire nation should help ease proceedings while a person is travelling or driving in another state or union territory. It would help not just the person who is driving, but also the policemen in the region. It remains to be seen, how the transport department will convert existing licenses into the new smart-cards.