- 1 day ago KTM 790 Adventure Showcased At India Bike Week Ahead Of 2020 Launch
- 1 day ago Husqvarna Svartpilen 250 & Vitpilen 250 Revealed At India Bike Week 2019
- 2 days ago KTM 390 Adventure Unveiled At India Bike Week 2019: Here Are All The Details
- 3 days ago MG ZS EV Electric SUV Unveiled For Indian Market: Range, Features, Specifications & Details
- Technology List Of Realme Smartphones Expected To Launch In 2020
- Movies Star Screen Awards Red Carpet Pics: Deepika Padukone Turns Heads In A Brand New Avatar; Looks Wow
- Sports I-League 2019-20: Preview: Indian Arrows and Aizawl both look focused in their quest for first win
- News Karnataka By-Election Results 2019 LIVE: Counting to begin at 8 am
- Lifestyle Kriti Sanon And Other Divas Have Office Wear Ideas Based On Your Different Work Modes
- Finance Now 5,500 Railway Stations Have Free WiFi
- Education TOEFL Go! Global: A Mobile App From ETS To Stand Out In Exam
- Travel A Brief Travel Guide For Solo Travellers To Conquer South India
Maruti Suzuki confirms that the launch of their first electric vehicle (EV) to the Indian market, WagonR electric will be delayed. Initially, the company had plans to introduce in 2020, however, now it has been pushed to 2021.
The company feels that the EV technology still need time in India for mass acceptance. With the lack of charging infrastructure in the country, it will not be a practical proposition for motorists to use it on longer journeys. Also, with the current technology the EVs are priced relatively higher and does not showcase value for money as well.
However, the company confirms that they will be carrying out the research and development of the WagonR EV. The electric hatchback is currently completed Stage-1 of testing, Maruti will soon start Stage-2 testing with the WagonR EV.
Also, the company will not look to launch the WagonR Electric for private use, initially. Instead, they will target for commercial use like Ola and Uber cab aggregators.
The Wagon R electric hatchback will feature a claimed range of about 200 kilometers on a single charge. The EV hatchback is expected to feature fast-charging, to juice up the battery and increase the WagonR electric's practicality.
The DC fast charging will allow the battery to reach from 0 to 80 percent charge in under an hour. However, through a normal AC supply the charging times are between 7hours to 8 hours for a full charge.
Apart from the electric, the company already offers CNG and mild hybrid engine options across select models from the line-up. The company has found much success with the mild hybrids in the country. This could further strengthen because of the strategic partnership between Maruti Suzuki and Toyota.
In other news, the partnership between two brands will spawn many models adding to both Toyota and Maruti Suzuki line-up in the country. The recent model to confirm is a compact electric vehicle for both the brands — here are more details.
Thoughts About The WagonR Electric Launch Delayed
Indian EV space is sure to have a lot of options in the coming years. Currently the mainstream auto manufacturers are looking for solutions to make the EVs affordable and more practical to the masses. Maruti's decision to delay the launch of WagonR EV makes sense, as the EVs are currently not practical enough in the country.