- 2 hrs ago Tata Motors Announces Discounts & Benefits Of Up To Rs 1.50 Lakh On Select Models
- 2 hrs ago Renault BS-VI Turbo-Petrol Engines Confirmed For India: Will Feature On The Duster & Captur SUVs
- 3 hrs ago KTM Increases Prices Of The Duke 125 & RC 125 Models In India
- 5 hrs ago Piaggo Hikes Prices Of Vespa & Aprilia Scooters In India: Also Offers Other Festive Benefits
- Sports India vs South Africa: Rohit's success as Test opener can help India chase down targets: Sanjay Bangar
- Technology How To Clear Cache In Google Drive And Docs
- Movies Sonam Kapoor: India Is Very Patriarchal; There Is A Lot Of Inequality
- Lifestyle What Is Breadcrumbing In A Relationship? Signs That Will Help You To Know If You're Into It!
- News CPI dubs Shah's 'Hindi' comment as attack on federalism
- Finance Govt Employees Will Get Housing Advance At Lower Interest Rates
- Education HSSC Clerk Admit Card 2019 Released
- Travel Cycling for beginners: The basics any beginner cyclists should know
Maruti Suzuki is all set to introduce its first EV in India, with the Wagon R electric. The Maruti Wagon R electric will make its debut in the market in 2020, after having undergone comprehensive testing in the country.
Now, according to Autocar India, the Maruti Wagon R electric is expected to be priced under the Rs 7 lakh price point in the country. This price includes the subsidies that are applicable to all electric and hybrid cars in India. The Maruti Wagon R electric will come under the FAME scheme (Faster Adoption and Manufacturing of Hybrid and Electric vehicles), set by the Indian government.
As part of the FAME scheme, the Wagon R electric could get a subsidy of around Rs 1.24 lakh to Rs 1.38 lakh. However, with the Indian government preparing to roll-out the FAME 2 scheme, the Maruti EV could see a change in the amount of subsidy closer to its launch date.
The Maruti Wagon R electric was first showcased at the MOVE Summit, held in September 2018. Since then, the electric Wagon R has been spotted testing in India on multiple occasions. The design of the upcoming electric hatchback is based on the Solio (sold in international markets), rather than the recently launched latest-gen Wagon R.
Testing of the electric Wagon R hatchback began in October 2018. Around 50 prototype vehicles of the Maruti Wagon R electric were waived off from the company's plant in Gurugram by Maruti Suzuki, Senior Executive Officer, CV Raman. The comprehensive testing includes different terrains in the country, so as to access the success of the EV in the Indian market.
The Maruti Wagon R electric is said to be powered by a 72-volt system and a 10 - 25kWh battery pack, offering a maximum range of 150 - 200km on a single charge. Maruti has indicated that the Wagon R EV could charge up to 80 per cent in 40 minutes using the fast-charging system, expected to be installed in India. However, it yet to be confirmed whether or not the electric Wagon R will get fast-charging capabilities.
In terms of features, the Maruti Wagon R electric will receive all the equipment seen on the standard petrol-powered version. This includes LED lighting, ABS, dual airbags and the latest 7.0-inch touchscreen infotainment system with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto connectivity.
Thoughts On The Maruti Wagon R Electric
The Wagon R electric will be the first EV from Maruti Suzuki in India. The Maruti Wagon R electric could also be one of the most-affordable EVs in the Indian market at the time of launch. The electric hatchback will also jump-start the launch of more EVs from various other manufacturers in the country.