- 1 hr ago Tesla Likely To Establish A Research Centre In Bengaluru: Read More To Find Out
- 17 hrs ago MG Hector Dual-Tone Variant Launched In India: Prices Start At Rs 16.84 Lakh
- 19 hrs ago Tata Nexon EV Limited Time Subscription Offer Introduced During Festive Season
- 20 hrs ago MG Gloster Off-Road Capabilities Showcased Ahead Of Launch: Video & Other Details
- Sports Devdutt Padikkal story: 'You are in the playing XI' When Virat Kohli left young RCB batsman nervous
- Movies Yeh Rishtey Hain Pyaar Ke: Disappointed With The Show Going Off-Air, Fan Slits Wrist
- News With a scathing attack at the UN, India takes on Pakistan
- Technology OnePlus Nord Vs Samsung Galaxy M51: Is The Monster Worth The Hype?
- Finance Vodafone Idea Slips 7% On Reports That It May Need To Pay 10% AGR Dues By Mar
- Lifestyle To Fast Or Not To Fast! A Nutritionist’s View On Fasting, Its Benefits And Side Effects
- Education CBSE Class 12 Compartment Exam Date 2020 Schedule
- Travel 10 Best Places To Visit In Andaman and Nicobar Islands In September
Maruti Suzuki has announced the successful export of one million (10 lakh) cars from the Mundra Port in Gujarat. The one millionth Maruti Suzuki car to go through the Mundra port was an Oxford Blue-coloured Maruti Suzuki DZire that will eventually find its way to Chile.
Maruti Suzuki is without a doubt, the largest car manufacturer in India and among the largest in the world. It is also the largest car exporter in India. Maruti Suzuki's car exports started way back in 1987 when the company started exported 500 cars to Hungary. Since then, things have changed and the company has grown manifold.
Last year, the company exported its cars to more than 100 countries in four continents, including South America, Asia, Europe and Africa. All cars are shipped through car carrier ships and seaways. This is where the Mundra Port becomes really important for Maruti Suzuki.
Located in Gujarat, the Mundra Port, is the largest private port in India and is operated by Adani Ports and SEZ. Along with having a strategic location, the private operation of the port makes the flow of cargo easier and smoother.
In 2013-14, Mundra Port became the first Indian port to handle 100 million (10 Crore) tonnes of cargo in just one year. One of the largest users of the Mundra Port is Maruti Suzuki. Maruti Suzuki has set up a pre-delivery inspection unit and a stockyard just a couple of kilometres away from the international container terminal and ship dock.
Maruti Suzuki uses the Mundra port as its gateway to the markets in the Middle-East, Latin America and Europe. Car carrier ships can dock at the port, get loaded with Maruti Suzuki cars and head to the Middle-Eastern markets and European markets through the Suez Canal.
The location of Mundra Port too makes it easy for Maruti Suzuki to transport its cars from the factory. The Maruti Suzuki factory in Naviyani, Gujarat is just 330 kilometres away from the Mundra Port. The other two factories in Gurgaon and Manesar are just over 1,000 kilometres away.
Maruti Suzuki also exports its cars from the Mumbai port, but it is distant and therefore more expensive. Currently, Maruti Suzuki exports 14 models from the port of Mundra. As the number of Maruti Suzuki models grow, this number too is expected to grow.
Kenichi Ayukawa, Managing Director & CEO, Maruti Suzuki India Limited said, "Within a decade of commencement of exports from Mundra, we achieved the significant milestone of shipping one millionth car. At Maruti Suzuki, we have always aligned our exports strategy to keep pace with the changing market scenario."
"Maruti Suzuki exports are aligned with Prime Minister Narendra Modi's flagship vision of "Make in India". The efforts by Maruti Suzuki reflect India's capabilities of manufacturing cars that meet global standards of quality, safety, design and technology."
Thoughts On Maruti Suzuki Exporting Ten lakh Cars Through Mundra Port In Gujarat
In the midst of an industry slowdown and reports that Maruti Suzuki's sales is at a two-year low right now, it is encouraging to receive reports of such milestones. Ten lakh cars being exported through one port shows the scale of Maruti Suzuki's export operations and the capacity of the Mundra port.