- 1 hr ago KTM Duke 790 Launched in India: Priced At Rs 8.63 Lakh
- 1 hr ago KTM Duke 790 Live Launch Highlights: Priced At Rs 8.63 Lakh
- 2 hrs ago New (2020) Force Gurkha 3-Door Seen Testing In India Ahead Of Launch: Spy Pics & Details
- 3 hrs ago Tax Reduction For EV Component Manufacturers: Here’s What The Government Proposes
- Movies Saand Ki Aankh Trailer: Taapsee Pannu & Bhumi Pednekar Explode Fireworks On Screen!
- Technology Asus ROG Phone II Launched In India Starting From Rs. 37,999
- News Waited for long to greet you: Syed Akbaruddin receives PM Modi in US
- Finance SBI To Link All Floating Loans To Repo Rate
- Sports WWE Monday Night Raw preview & schedule: September 23, 2019
- Travel Places To Visit In October In India
- Lifestyle Game Of Thrones Actresses At Emmys Show That You Don't Have To Try Too Hard To Look Awesome
- Education Top 10 Indian Universities In QS Graduate Employability Rankings 2020
Traditionally, heated steering wheels have been used to keep the driver comfortable in harsh, cold weather conditions. Now though, Jaguar Land rover seems to have found a new use for heated steering wheels. According to the British marque, sensory steering wheels can be used to prompt drivers as and when they have to take a turn.
Traditionally, heated steering wheels have been used to keep the driver comfortable in harsh, cold weather conditions. Now though, Jaguar Land rover seems to have found a new use for heated steering wheels.
According to the British marque, sensory steering wheels can be used to prompt drivers as and when they have to take a turn. This can be one by rapidly heating or cooling the left and right sides of the steering wheel.
The new system has been developed in a partnership with the Glasgow University. It employs heating elements in both sides of the steering wheel that will rapidly heat or cool down to prompt the driver to make a turn.
Each side of the steering wheel can be made hotter or colder by up to 6-degrees celsius, which is a big difference in temperature. For those who think 6-degrees is too much, the temperature difference can be adjusted. According to Jaguar Land Rover, this technology could help reduce accidents because drivers would no longer have to take their eyes off the road to look at the navigation on the screen.
Alexandros Mouzakitis, electrical research senior manager for Jaguar Land Rover was quoted as saying, "Safety is a number one priority for Jaguar Land Rover and we are committed to continuously improving our vehicles with the latest technological developments as well as preparing the business for a self-driving future."
"The sensory steering wheel is all part of this vision, with thermal cues able to reduce the amount of time drivers have to take their eyes off the road." Jaguar Land Rover also stressed on the fact that audio warnings and vibrational warnings too could cause the driver to be distracted, while quoting that driver distraction is a major contributor to road accidents around the world.
This system could also be used to warn drivers of hazards in low visibility conditions and could also prompt lane changes.
Thoughts On Jaguar Land Rover Uses Heated Steering Wheel To Tell Drivers Where To Turn
The concept of the heated steering wheel has been around for ages and now, it is being put to some innovative use. This system of prompting turns using heating and cooling would work very well in places where there are well-marked and well-planned roads.
Would it work in India where there are blind turns and roads that do not even exist on digital mapping softwares? We are sceptical, but hopeful to see it work.