- 4 hrs ago KTM 125 Duke & RC Sales In India: Boost KTM Sales To 50,000 Units In 10 Months
- 4 hrs ago New Renault Kwid Climber Facelift Spied Undisguised Ahead Of Launch In India: Spy Pics & Details
- 7 hrs ago Auto Industry Slowdown: GST On Automobiles Will Not Be Reduced Says GST Council
- 7 hrs ago Ferrari F8 Tributo India Launch Confirmed For Early-2020: Prices For The 488GTB Successor Revealed
- Movies Ranveer Singh, Alia Bhatt Are ECSTATIC About Gully Boy’s Oscar Entry; 'Making A Mark On World Stage'
- Sports PKL 2019: Clinical UP Yoddha end Tamil Thalaivas' playoff chances
- News Rajeev Kumar's anticipatory bail plea rejected
- Lifestyle Priyanka Chopra Jonas Beckons Us To Pair Cycling Shorts With A Breezy Top
- Technology Common 4G LTE Problems and Fixes
- Finance Still Waiting For Income Tax Refund: You Might Have Gone Wrong Here
- Education Top 10 Indian Universities In QS Graduate Employability Rankings 2020
- Travel How To Spend 3 Days In Goa: A Complete Travel Guide
Jaguar is leading a campaign to change the definition of a car. According to Jaguar, the definition of a car is outdated and old-school and does not take electric vehicles into consideration. The definition of a car according to Oxford Dictionaries still says that it is powered by an internal combustion engine and Jaguar intends to change this.
1886 is widely regarded as the birth year of the modern car as it is the year in which Karl Benz patented his Motorwagen. The Motorwagen was powered by a gasoline engine. A few decades later, the first car with a diesel engine appeared in 1929.
At later stages, car petrol engines were modified to run on CNG and LPG. However, the basic working of all these engines involved the combustion of fossil fuels. Hence, it makes sense for reliable sources like the Oxford Dictionary to define the car as a road vehicle powered by an internal combustion engine. However, times have changed.
It is 2019 and the electric vehicle industry is booming even though its growth has just started. Electric vehicles are no longer simple but are advanced machines.
Even then, a search for the definition of the car on any of the popular search engines yields the result — "A road vehicle, typically with four wheels, powered by an internal combustion engine and able to carry a small number of people."
This definition of course does not include the hundreds of electric vehicle models on the roads across the world and under development. Jaguar therefore has come up with a campaign to redefine the car.
According to Jaguar, its i-Pace electric vehicle is not a car according to current dictionary definitions and has therefore started the campaign. The British marque has encouraged people to contact them on social media platforms using #RedefineTheCar with thoughts on how the term ‘car' should be redefined.
David Browne, head of Jaguar Land Rover's naming committee was quoted as saying, "It's surprising to see that the definition of the car is a little outdated. We are therefore inviting the Oxford English Dictionary and the Oxford Dictionaries to update its online classification to reflect the shift from traditional internal combustion engines towards more sustainable powertrains."
Jaguar has submitted a formal application to the Oxford English Dictionary and Oxford Dictionaries to include additional powertrains.
Thoughts On Jaguar Wanting The Current Definition Of ‘Car' Changed To Include Electric Vehicles
Jaguar is using the current situation of the dictionary definition to market its i-Pace and its upcoming electric cars as well. However, it does make absolute sense to #RedefineTheCar as the concept of a car itself has changed.