- 10 hrs ago Chandrayaan-2 Is Launched Successfully While Polaris Pays Tribute To The Original Lunar Rover
- 11 hrs ago Hyundai Mobis Develops First Camera Monitor System — Side-View Mirror Replacement
- 12 hrs ago Hyundai Venue Receives More Than 45,000 Bookings In A Month — Giving Tough Competition To Its Rivals
- 13 hrs ago Hyundai Kona EV Gets 120 Bookings & Over 10,000 Test-Drive Requests In Just 10 Days
- Technology These Wireless Neckband Headphones In India Have Superior Battery Life
- Movies iSmart Shankar Worldwide Box Office Collections Day 5: Ram Pothineni Starrer Continues To Impress!
- News UK High Court rules in favour of Indian banks, asks Mallya to disclose assets
- Sports Mohammad Azharuddin urges MS Dhoni to play aggressively as long as he wishes plays for India
- Lifestyle Up In The Air! Chandrayaan 2, Things To Know About India's Second Trip To The Moon
- Travel National Parks to Visit During Monsoon in India
- Education CBSE Class 10 Compartment Results 2019: Steps To Check Result
- Finance Metrolite: Modi 2 Proposes Light Urban Rail Transit For Small Cities
Geely Auto Group has launched the Geometry electric car brand and also displayed its first car — The Geometry A. Geometry is an entirely new electric vehicle brand and Geely claims it is its 'high-end pure electric brand.' The newly formed Geometry will now function under the Geely umbrella along with Geely's other subsidiaries Volvo and Lotus.
Geometry, as a brand gives Geely Auto Group a bright future as the future is electric. Having a brand that sells just electric cars certainly gives Geely an advantage over its European competitors.
The first product under the Geometry brand will be the 'A'. It features contemporary european styling. Up front are swept-back LED headlamps with integrated LED DRLs. Since there is no requirement for a radiator grille, the bumper area is larger and it features a hexagonal air-dam.
The side profile shows off a premium saloon-like design. Slim tail-lamps and a dual-tone bumper finish off the design traits at the rear. The interiors too have been kept classy with a dual-tone black and beige theme. It features steering-mounted controls for various vehicular functions and even comes with a heads-up display.
The Geometry A has been made available in two variants. The standard variant comes with a 51.9 kWh battery while the long-range model comes with a 61.9 kWk lithium battery pack. Geometry claims the standard variant is capable of going a distance of 410 kilometres on a fully charged battery while the long range variant will do 500 kilometres.
The motors push out a 161bhp and 350Nm. Performance too is decent, with 0-100km/h done and dusted in 8.8 seconds. The batteries are fast-charge enabled and can charge from 30 percent to 80 percent in just 30 minutes. The Geometry A is just the beginning.
Geometry will be launching 10 more pure-electric models before 2025, and these models will cover a wide range of segments including hatchbacks, sedans, SUVs, etc.
Will the Geometry A be launched in the Indian market?
This is just speculation at the moment but, in all probability, the Geometry brand will make it to the Indian market. The Indian electric vehicle market is growing by the day. Right now, there are only two mainstream car manufacturers that are producing EVs.
However this is expected to grow rapidly. There are multiple brands working on getting their electric vehicles into the Indian market and this includes major european car manufacturers as well. Volvo recently announced its EV and Hybrid vehicle plans for the Indian market.
Volvo and Geometry are both owned by Geely and needless to say, there will be quite a bit of parts and technology sharing between the two companies. Volvo and Geometry would work on the development of electric vehicles together and this way, the economies of scale too would be benefited.
Thoughts On Geometry A
The Geometry A is purported to be a Tesla Rival, but in reality it isn't. Geometry as a brand is a rival to Tesla as it is also a pure-electric brand. While Tesla seems to be concentrating on the upper end of the EV market, Geometry will attempt to have a good mixture of affordable and premium vehicles.