- 56 min ago Hyundai Kona EV Gets 120 Bookings & Over 10,000 Test-Drive Requests In Just 10 Days
- 1 hr ago Maruti Suzuki Vitara Brezza Gets Five-Year Warranty — Aims To Beat Hyundai Venue & Mahindra XUV300
- 1 hr ago Suzuki Burgman Street 125 Launched In New Matte Black Paint Scheme — Priced At Rs 69,208
- 3 hrs ago Kia Seltos — Top Thing To Know About India’s Most-Awaited SUV Of 2019
- Movies Parth Samthaan & Niti Taylor's Kaisi Yeh Yaariyan Turns 5; Fans Recall MaNan's Magical Moments
- News 9 killed in lightning strikes in Uttar Pradesh
- Sports Imran Khan promises to make Pakistan the best cricket team in the world
- Travel National Parks to Visit During Monsoon in India
- Technology Vodafone Rs. 205, Rs. 225 Prepaid Plans Launched For Select Subscribers
- Lifestyle 60 Birds Fall To Death From Sky; Mass Poisoning Suspected
- Education CBSE Class 10 Compartment Results 2019 Likely To Be Out Soon
- Finance Metrolite: Modi 2 Proposes Light Urban Rail Transit For Small Cities
Apple has patented a new technology which allows users to unlock their cars using face recognition. The new facial recognition technology from Apple will not only unlock the cars but will also start the cars for the owners.
The American brand filed for the patent back in 2017, when working on their autonomous electric car. However, since then, the project, named 'Titan' has stopped, with Apple terminating over 200 employees involved.
According to the patent, vehicles will use a series of sensors and imaging devices to remotely recognise a user as they approach the vehicle. Other brands, such as Tesla, Hyundai and even Ford have been working on smart ways to unlock vehicles. However, Apple plans to integrate the entire technology in the phone's operating system, rather than having a dedicated proprietary app.
The patented technology though doesn't stop there, all users without an Apple product can also use the technology by using a system similar to face-ID on the exterior of the car, which would perform the same functions.
According to the patent, the face recognition system can be accessed by multiple users. Depending on the user profile, the car will be able to not only start the car but also, change the seat settings, climate control and other memory accessible programs. This will allow the technology to provide a more personalised user experience.
Apple claims that this new face recognition technology would add another layer of security to the current proximity-based entry systems. However, the new technology could offer more functions than just unlocking and starting a car.
The technology could be combined with a proximity-based geofencing system, allowing for the purchase of goods and other services. The added system will be able to recognise whether the car is near an area, requiring payments to be made, such as an electric charging station or a local drive-through.
Thoughts On The Apple Face Recognition Technology To Unlock Cars
It is still unsure if the new technology will ever make it into a consumer-facing project. The technology was supposed to feature on Apple's autonomous car. However, with the future of the 'Project Titan' now uncertain, it will be interesting to see how Apple will market the technology and if they will ever introduce it in the market.