- 1 hr ago Mahindra Mojo 300 ABS Specifications Leaked
- 2 hrs ago New Skoda Rapid Rider Launched In India — Priced At Rs 6.99 Lakh
- 3 hrs ago Tata Harrier Painted Range Rover Red By Kitup Automotive — Chic And Up-Market!
- 4 hrs ago 30 Percent Of Motorists In India Use Fake Driving Licenses — New MV Act To Counter It
- Technology Xiaomi Mi Rechargeable LED Lamp Launched In India – Goes On Crowdfunding
- Movies Nayanthara’s Marriage Prediction Goes Viral; Will It Turn Out To Be True?
- Sports Tendulkar picks five Indians in World Cup XI
- News Amarnath Yatra: 15th batch of 3,967 pilgrims leaves Jammu
- Finance Tax Frauds Worth Rs 38,000 Crore Detected Last Year
- Lifestyle Deepika Padukone's Latest Airport Look Is All Things Cool And Comfy
- Travel Best Places to Visit in Rajasthan During Monsoon Season
- Education #SelfiewithGuru: A Campaign To Mark The Occasion Of Guru Purnima 2019
Aadhar card will soon need to be mandatorily linked to the driving licence. Union Minister Ravi Shankar Prasad has stated that the above law will come into place soon.
The Minister of Law, Electronics and Information Technology delivered a speech at the ongoing 106th Indian Science Congress at Lovely Professional University. In his speech, he stated, "We are soon going to bring a law which will make it mandatory to link Aadhaar with driving licence."
The mandatory linking of the Aadhar with the driving licence is mainly to prevent violators from either making new or duplicate driving licence. Prasad stated, "This (linking the driving licence with Aadhaar number) will prevent violators from making new or duplicate driving licences in their hometown or some other state."
Further explaining the need for the linkage, Prasad stated, "At present, what happens is that the guilty person who causes an accident flees the scene and gets a duplicate licence. This helps him go scot-free. However, with the Aadhaar linkage, you can change your name but you cannot change your biometrics, neither iris nor fingerprints. So the moment you go in for a duplicate licence, the system will say this person already has a driving licence and should not be given a new one."
The Supreme Court had previously removed the entire section 57 of the Aadhar Act, stating that the 12-digit identity would be used only to deliver government subsidies. However, after a few months after the Supreme Court order, the Aadhar Amendment Act has passed the Lok Sabha and will enter the Rajya Sabha on the 8th of January.
Earlier, the Indian Government was planning to roll out uniform driving licences with a similar design across all states. This will include registration cards as well while both cards will have the same security features as well.
Thoughts On The Aadhar-Driving Licence Linkage
The linking of the Aadhar card with the Driving Licence is mainly to prevent violators from making duplicate driving licence. The driving licence once linked with the Aadhar will inform the authorities regarding the original and prevent the printing of a new duplicate licence.