- 10 hrs ago Ducati Partners With North Star Automotive — Aiming Maximum Presence In India
- 11 hrs ago Kia Seltos Receives 6,046 Bookings On The First Day — Launch Scheduled In August
- 12 hrs ago BS-VI Petrol & Diesel Prices Will Increase Post April 2020 — Another Challenge For The Auto Sector!
- 13 hrs ago Lotus Evija Electric Hypercar Unveiled — Time Travel Is Almost Here!
- News Explained: What is a floor test? Know what will happen in Karnataka Assembly today
- Movies Happy Birthday Priyanka Chopra: These Quotes Speak Volumes About Her Love For Nick Jonas!
- Technology Flipkart Big Shopping Days: Discounts on Laptops
- Sports Pro Kabaddi League 2019: Full Schedule, team-wise schedule, date and time, venues of PKL 2019
- Lifestyle Teen Sells Bottled Bathwater to Men Online and It's A Runaway Success
- Finance What Are Dynamic Bond Funds?
- Education ICAI CPT June Result 2019 To Be Released On July 18
- Travel 5 Ideal Weekend Getaways in Chandigarh
A self-driving vehicle operated by Waymo was involved in a crash in Chandler, Arizona, US. A local media has reported that the Waymo's self-driving car was in autonomous mode with a person behind the wheel. The driver has suffered minor injuries.
In a statement, Chandler Police said that a Honda sedan swerved from its lane to avoid a collision with another car. The Honda sedan entered the opposite lane and ended up hitting the side of the Waymo self-driving minivan. The Honda sedan suffered a smashed front end and the self-driving car was partly damaged.
The crash between the Waymo self-driving car and the Honda sedan again proves that the technology is still in its early phase. Even though it was not the mistake of the self-driving car, the technology failed to take an evasive action to avoid the collision.
This is not the first time an autonomous car is involved in a crash. Previously, a Volvo XC90 Uber self-driving car struck a 49-year-old woman which resulted in her death. After the incident, Uber stopped its self-driving car testing across the United States.
Waymo is the self-driving technology arm of Google and has been testing its autonomous cars for quite some time. However, with this crash, the self-driving technology will definitely suffer a hit as it failed to avoid the crash. The Waymo self-driving car was said to be travelling at a low speed which minimised the impact of the crash.
The Chandler Police Department stated that they are investigating the crash. Both the Waymo self-driving car and the Honda sedan had to be towed from the scene of the accident. It was fortunate that the person behind the wheel of the self-driving car suffered only minor injuries.
Thoughts On The Waymo Self-Driving Car Accident
The latest crash of the Waymo self-driving car is a reminder that the autonomous technology is still in its early stage. Even though a driver was deployed during the testing, both the technology and the driver failed to avoid the collision. This puts a lot of question about the self-driving technology. What is your take on the autonomous technology? Let us know in the comment section below.