- 3 hrs ago Mercedes Developing Heated Seat Belts — Hopes To Motivate People To Use Them
- 4 hrs ago Ssangyong Tivoli Facelift Unveiled In South Korea — Features A New Engine And Tweaked Interiors
- 4 hrs ago Hyundai Venue Bookings Cross The 17000 Mark — India Loves The Korean Bestseller
- 5 hrs ago Skoda Unveils 2020 Superb — Tech Overload
- News 2019 Lok Sabha election results: UP alone sends six Muslim MPs to Parliament, none from the BJP
- Sports Boxing: Mary Kom, Shiva Thapa dominate finals as Amit Panghal fights his way to gold at 2nd India Open
- Movies Prabhas Starrer Saaho's Rumours Have Been Busted; Are The Fans Disappointed?
- Lifestyle Cannes 2019 Diary: Who Looked The Most Flawless At amfAR Gala 2019?
- Finance Ashok Leyland's Q4 Profit Declines 12%; Board Declares Dividend
- Technology Oppo K3 vs other mid-range smartphones with 6GB RAM
- Education HSCAP Allotment Result 2019 Kerala Released
- Travel The Bustling City Of Muzaffarnagar In Uttar Pradesh
New Volkswagen Polo 1-litre petrol engine introduced in India.
The carmaker has discontinued the 1.2-litre three-cylinder petrol engine in favour of the more fuel efficient 1-litre three-cylinder MPI petrol engine.
While the 1.2-litre unit returned a mileage of 16.47kpl as per ARAI test results, the new smaller Volkswagen Polo 1-litre petrol engine mileage is 18.78kpl.
With better fuel efficiency, the power output of Volkswagen 1-litre MPI engine remains the same producing the same 75bhp @ 6,200rpm.
However, the torque figures have come down from 110Nm in the older 1.2-litre to 95Nm @ 3,000-4,300rpm in the new 1-litre unit.
Prices for the new Volkswagen Polo powered by the 1-litre petrol engine remains the same at Rs 5.41 lakh (ex-showroom).
The new 1-litre MPI petrol engine will replace the 1.2-litre naturally aspirated unit across variants.
The new 1-litre unit is also lighter by 18kg and comes mated to 5-speed manual gearbox.
Volkswagen Polo 1.0-Litre Petrol Prices In India Ex-Showroom (Delhi):
|Trendline||Rs 5.41 Lakh|
|Comfortline||Rs 6.10 Lakh|
|Highline||Rs 7.01 Lakh|
|Highline Plus||Rs 7.24 Lakh|
The carmaker will continue to sell the 1.2-litre turbocharged petrol engine which does its duties in the VW Polo GT TSI, which churns out 108bhp and 250Nm of torque.
The Polo GT TSI also gets 7-speed dual-clutch automatic gearbox.
As for the diesel option, Volkswagen will continue to offer the 1.5-litre four-cylinder unit.
The 1.5-litre diesel engine makes 89bhp and 230Nm of torque in the regular version of the Polo, while it produces 108bhp and 250Nm of torque in the GT TDI version, which is paired with a 5-speed manual gearbox.
Commenting on the introduction of the new engine on the Polo lineup, Steffen Knapp, Director, Volkswagen Passenger Cars India said, "Delivering on our promise of continued product introduction and innovation, we are pleased to introduce the Polo in an all-new 1.0 L MPI engine. We are known for our performance and unmatched safety and with this new introduction; we further enhance our brand proposition, providing a diverse portfolio to India's distinctive car-buyer, with multiple engine options that best suits their requirements."
DriveSpark's Thoughts About The Volkswagen Polo 1-Litre Petrol Engine
Volkswagen's new 1-litre three-cylinder unit produces similar power output as the outgoing 1.2-litre engine but offers better mileage.
While this is indeed a good move by Volkswagen, the prices of the Polo continues to remain the same.
Volkswagen could have priced the new Polo with the 1-litre MPI petrol engine slightly lower to position the premium hatchback as a better alternative to other rivals such as the Maruti Baleno and the Hyundai Elite i20.