- 9 hrs ago DAO Vidyut 106, Vidyut 108 & ZOR 405 Slow-Speed Electric Scooters Launched In India
- 11 hrs ago Skoda Kushaq Spied Testing Without Wraps Ahead Of Its Launch In India
- 11 hrs ago CFMoto 650NK BS6 Teased Ahead Of India Launch: Will Rival The Triumph Trident 660
- 11 hrs ago TVS iQube Electric Scooter Sales Cross 1,000 Units Milestone: Demand For EVs Increase
- Technology Amazon Accessories Sale: Offers On Nokia, pTron, Mi, Realme, And More Brand Accessories
- News From UK to UAE, list of countries that have suspended flights from India amid COVID-19 surge
- Movies Composer Shravan Rathod Of Nadeem-Shravan Fame Passes Away After Battling COVID-19
- Sports IPL 2021, RCB vs RR: Man of The Match, Post Match Presentation, Highlights
- Finance HDFC and ICICI Pension Fund's Equity Fund Top In NPS Return Chart
- Education Tips To Improve And Strengthen Logical Reasoning Skills
- Travel 10 Best Places To Visit In Nagaland In April 2021
- Lifestyle Ramadan 2021: Gauahar Khan’s Embroidered Blue Lucknowi Kurti Is All You Need To Ace Festive Look
Popular motorsports event, Shell Eco-Marathon is coming to India. The event will be a first for Indian motorsports enthusiasts and is part of Shell's 'Make The Future India' initiative. The Eco-Marathon is scheduled from 6th – 9th December 2018, in Chennai.
Shell Eco-Marathon is a motorsport event participating budding engineers; much like SAEINDIA BAJA. The competition mainly involves the design and fabrication of a track vehicle, with limited resource utilisation.
Shell refers the Eco-Marathon as ‘one of the world's leading energy efficiency competition programmes'. Students are given the task to design, build and test energy-efficient cars to compete with various other teams. The shape and performance of the cars depend on how the various teams put together their product. But one thing will be sure – it will look nothing like a conventional car.
The competition has two categories or classes: Prototype (focusses on maximum efficiency; comfort no concern) and UrbanConcept (more practical designs with better passenger comfort). The vehicles are further classified by energy type:
- Internal Combustion Engine
- Electric Mobility
One of the main highlights of Eco-Marathon, the Mileage Competition sees the cars trying to travel the most distance with just one litre (or its equivalent amount) of fuel. Cars will have to drive a certain number of laps at a specified speed. Based on various parameters, the energy efficiency of each team will be calculated and the winner will be decided.
Drivers' World Championship
This is a more conventional form of racing which combines speed and energy-efficiency. Teams will have to cross the finish line without depleting the car's energy supply.
The Grand Finale will be held in Europe after three regional competitions. Nine teams will compete in the Finale (three from each regional events). The winner will also secure the title – The World's Most Efficient Driver.
The Shell Eco-Marathon was introduced in 1985 and gained popularity among engineering students ever since.
Thoughts On Shell Eco-Marathon
It is really good to see that India is lately getting better exposure in the field of motorsports. Competitions such as Eco-Marathon, BAJA, SUPRA, Young Media Racer Programme etc. also help in developing a platform for motorsports aspirants to improve themselves. We hope that more such motorsports events will be conducted in the country in the coming years.
If you wish to put together a team and compete in Shell Eco-Marathon India, you can find more details – here!