- 13 hrs ago Kia Carnival Review (First Drive): Extravagant On Space, Feature-Loaded And BSVI-Compliant
- 17 hrs ago MG ZS Electric SUV Registers 2,800 Units In Bookings Within 27 Days Of Unveil
- 17 hrs ago Amazon Introduces Three And Four Wheeler EVs For Product Delivery
- 19 hrs ago Hyundai Aura Launched Starting At Rs 5.80 Lakh: Bookings Open At Rs 10,000
- Movies Is Karan Wahi Getting Married To Girlfriend Uditi Singh?
- News 'Try implementing CAA, NRC in your chronology': Prashant Kishor to Amit Shah
- Finance Budget Day BSE Trading Session Timings
- Lifestyle Physical Therapy For Knees: Ways To Deal With Your Knee Pain
- Sports La Liga review: Barcelona kick off the Setien era with a win
- Technology Poco F1 Finally Gets Android 10 Update With MIUI 11 Avatar
- Travel 10 Best Places To Visit In Jammu and Kashmir In 2020
- Education IIM Bangalore Women In Leadership Course Tanmatra
Popular motorsports event, Shell Eco-Marathon is coming to India. The event will be a first for Indian motorsports enthusiasts and is part of Shell's 'Make The Future India' initiative. The Eco-Marathon is scheduled from 6th – 9th December 2018, in Chennai.
Shell Eco-Marathon is a motorsport event participating budding engineers; much like SAEINDIA BAJA. The competition mainly involves the design and fabrication of a track vehicle, with limited resource utilisation.
Shell refers the Eco-Marathon as ‘one of the world's leading energy efficiency competition programmes'. Students are given the task to design, build and test energy-efficient cars to compete with various other teams. The shape and performance of the cars depend on how the various teams put together their product. But one thing will be sure – it will look nothing like a conventional car.
The competition has two categories or classes: Prototype (focusses on maximum efficiency; comfort no concern) and UrbanConcept (more practical designs with better passenger comfort). The vehicles are further classified by energy type:
- Internal Combustion Engine
- Electric Mobility
One of the main highlights of Eco-Marathon, the Mileage Competition sees the cars trying to travel the most distance with just one litre (or its equivalent amount) of fuel. Cars will have to drive a certain number of laps at a specified speed. Based on various parameters, the energy efficiency of each team will be calculated and the winner will be decided.
Drivers' World Championship
This is a more conventional form of racing which combines speed and energy-efficiency. Teams will have to cross the finish line without depleting the car's energy supply.
The Grand Finale will be held in Europe after three regional competitions. Nine teams will compete in the Finale (three from each regional events). The winner will also secure the title – The World's Most Efficient Driver.
The Shell Eco-Marathon was introduced in 1985 and gained popularity among engineering students ever since.
Thoughts On Shell Eco-Marathon
It is really good to see that India is lately getting better exposure in the field of motorsports. Competitions such as Eco-Marathon, BAJA, SUPRA, Young Media Racer Programme etc. also help in developing a platform for motorsports aspirants to improve themselves. We hope that more such motorsports events will be conducted in the country in the coming years.
If you wish to put together a team and compete in Shell Eco-Marathon India, you can find more details – here!