- 55 min ago New Maruti Suzuki Premium Six-Seater MPV Spied — To Be Called The ‘XL6’
- 55 min ago Delhi Police Launches E-Challan And E-Payment System — Traffic Violators Beware
- 16 hrs ago Chandrayaan-2 Is Launched Successfully While Polaris Pays Tribute To The Original Lunar Rover
- 17 hrs ago Hyundai Mobis Develops First Camera Monitor System — Side-View Mirror Replacement
- Finance HDFC Bank Revises FD Rates Lower
- News SC cancels RERA registration of Amrapali, directs ED to file money laundering case
- Technology Jio GigaFiber: Difference Between Rs. 2,500 and Rs. 4,500 Router
- Movies Shivrajkumar Cries Before His Fans, From Across The Sea; Here’s Why He Got Emotional!
- Sports At 34, playing second-fiddle to younger Rishabh Pant will not help Wriddhiman Saha
- Lifestyle Kiara Advani Gives Us A Jaw-dropping Moment With Her Red Lehenga At FDCI India Couture Week 2019
- Travel National Parks to Visit During Monsoon in India
- Education CBSE Class 10 Compartment Results 2019: Steps To Check Result
Mercedes-Benz Vision Urbanetic: Mercedes-Benz has unveiled their autonomous electric van concept dubbed as the Vision Urbanetic. The concept will be officially debuted in front of the public at the upcoming IAA commercial vehicle show in Hannover, Germany.
The Vision Urbanetic has got an interesting party trick — it can change shapes!
Yes, the Mercedes Vision Urbanetic employs a self-driving electrically-powered chassis which can take up different formats (much like a modular platform). As of now, it can shift itself from a ride-sharing vehicle to a goods carrier. Mercedes has shared that it will be capable of attaining more shapes in the future.
As a people-mover, the Vision Urbanetic can take 12 passengers in comfort. In the cargo carrier format, the autonomous concept is capable of loading 10 conventional EPAL* boxes in a loading area of almost 10 cubic metres.
*EPAL or Euro pallet is an industry-standard pallet measuring 800 x 1200 x 144 mm.
In all honesty, the Mercedes Vision Urbanetic looks weird and feels like it has come from outside the planet. The internet has already started wildly commenting on its aesthetics. Some of the many titles which the looks of the Urbanetic have gained are: "Elongated bicycle helmet", "Mutated skull of Alien" (as in the movie, Alien), "Boiled extra-terrestrial egg"; plus a lot of others.
For the same reason, the Mercedes Vision Urbanetic has been given an unofficial tag — "The Shape-Shifting Monster". However, the real shape-shifting monster is a car from Nissan which you would've heard about (a lot). Read more about it — here!
The body types can be changed automatically or manually through an automated process which would take only a few minutes. With progress in development, this time span can be further reduced.
Being in the concept format, nothing much is known about the powertrain or the performance figures; if at all it ever makes it into production. However, the numbers should be decent enough to rival the likes of the Tesla Semi truck, due for launch soon.
Thoughts On The New Mercedes-Benz Vision Urbanetic Concept
The automotive industry has been witnessing a rapid progress in technology and innovation in the past few months. Electric vehicles and cars which can drive on their own are becoming more common these days but the Vision Urbanetic Concept is something different. Though it looks really odd, the concept hintsat the flexibility and adaptability of automobiles in the future — the ability to just change the vehicle body depending on the purpose.