- Mercedes-Benz Digital Light Technology: Car Communicates With You Through Words
- Kerala Floods 2018 — Major Automotive Brands Lend Out Support
- 88-Year-Old Indian Farmer Buys Mercedes-Benz To Fulfil Childhood Dream
- Mercedes-Benz Planning To Manufacture Electric Cars In India
- New Mercedes-Benz C-Class Facelift India Launch Details Revealed
- Mercedes-AMG S63 Coupe Launched At Rs 2.55 Crore — Combines Performance With Elegance
Mercedes-Benz is planning a luxury all-electric car to challenge the Tesla Model S. The all-electric sedan will be called Mercedes EQ S and will be similar to the S-Class. The Mercedes EQ S is expected to roll out by 2020.
Why This Move?
The Tesla Model S outsells the S-Class in Germany and many major markets. Also, Mercedes-Benz have been slow to respond to Tesla's transportation revolution.
What To Expect From The Mercedes-Benz Electric Car
Autocarreports that theMercedes EQ S will be marketed under the EQ brand, Daimler's name for its all-new electric car division. A concept version of the Mercedes EQ S is undergoing testing. The company is targetting 2020 as the rollout date. And by 2022, the EQ S could go into full production.
On the configuration front, the Tesla Model S has a large battery mounted low in the chassis between the wheels. Many manufactures are adopting this configuration pioneered by Tesla. Mercedes for the EQ S will use an MEA chassis, of a large battery mounted low in the chassis between the wheels.
Michael Kelz, head of large car development for Mercedes, tells Autocar "We will have an electric vehicle at the level of the S Class, no doubt, but it will not be the S Class. It will be a luxury, electric car, a top-of-the-line car."
Thoughts On The Mercedes-Benz Electric Car
With the upcoming zero-emissions Jaguar XJ and next-generation electric Audi A8, the Mercedes EQ S project is headed in the right direction. Also, in the near future, we don't expect Mercedes-Benz to lock horns with Tesla -- as these guys are in a league of its own in electric vehicles.