- 1 hr ago Hyundai Organizes Mega Experience Service Camp In India — Existing Customers Get Educated
- 1 hr ago Top-Selling Bikes In India For June 2019 — Hero Splendor Retains Top-Slot Yet Again!
- 2 hrs ago Citroen Reveals Plan To Convert All Its Cars To Electric Or Plug-In Hybrids By 2025
- 2 hrs ago New Kia Carnival MPV To Launch In India At 2020 Auto Expo — Rivals The Toyota Innova Crysta
- Sports R Ashwin attempts unique bowling action during TNPL match, succeeds in trapping the batsman - Watch
- Movies Happy Birthday Suriya: Rakul Preet, Nagma & Others Wish 'Nadippin Nayakan' On His Big Day
- Technology Xiaomi 5th Anniversary Sale Offers – Get Attractive Discounts On Mi Products
- News In a first, Andhra Pradesh reserves 75% private jobs for locals
- Lifestyle 16-year-old Weighing 100 Kg Almost Died Due To Unhealthy Lifestyle
- Finance 4 Best Small Cap Mutual Funds To Buy
- Travel National Parks to Visit During Monsoon in India
- Education CBSE Class 10 Compartment Results 2019: Steps To Check Result
Maruti Suzuki had announced that the company will introduce electric vehicles in India by 2020. Now, India's leading automaker has commenced testing the prototype electric vehicles in the country. The prototype EVs were flagged off from the Gurugram facility by CV Raman, Senior Executive Director (Engineering), Maruti Suzuki.
Maruti Suzuki has begun testing 50 prototype electric vehicles developed by Suzuki Motor Corporation in Japan. The prototype models have been built at Maruti Suzuki's Gurugram plant as part of the company's Make in India commitment.
The prototype electric vehicles are based on the 2018 Suzuki WagonR that is expected to be launched in the Indian market in 2019. The Maruti WagonR electric was first showcased at the MOVE summit in New Delhi. Maruti Suzuki has been keen on introducing electric vehicles and the company has taken a major step by beginning the testing of prototype EVs.
Maruti Suzuki will test the prototype electric vehicles in different terrains and climatic conditions. The data collected from the tests will help Maruti Suzuki to get valuable insights that will help in validation and successful launch of electric vehicle technology in India.
The electric version of the Maruti WagonR draws power from a 72-volt system with a 10-25kWh battery capacity. The electric vehicle will be based on the next-gen WagonR with a revamped platform. The prototype electric vehicles are based on the HEARTECT platform which also underpins the new Swift and the Dzire.
Thoughts On Maruti Suzuki Testing Electric Vehicles In India
Maruti Suzuki has finally commenced testing of electric vehicles in India. The prototype EVs are based on the 2018 WagonR which is sold in the Japanese market. We can expect the WagonR EV to be the first electric vehicle from Maruti Suzuki in the Indian market. Currently, Mahindra is the only automaker to retail electric vehicles in India.