TRENDING ON ONEINDIA
- How The Phone Calls And Explosives Clearly Link Pulwama Attack To Pakistan
- Mahindra XUV300 Electric S210 Promises A Range Of 400km — Details Out!
- IPL 2019 Schedule — Chennai Super Kings Take On Royal Challengers Bangalore In Season Opener On March 23rd
- Samsung Galaxy S10+ Tipped To Launch In Ceramic Black: Price And Specs
- Here's Portal To Apply For Education Loan At Multiple Banks
- Indian Fests In March — A 2019 Must-Visit Checklist
- Madhu Chopra Reacts To Priyanka's 'Baby Bump' Photos!
- Kangana Ranaut Convinces Us To Make Sari An Everyday Wear With This Humble Sari
India's leading passenger vehicle manufacturer Maruti Suzuki's entire product portfolio ranging from Alto to Ciaz features a 5-speed gearbox. Now, MoneyControl reports that Maruti will soon introduce a new 6-speed gearbox to make its cars more driver-centric.
Maruti Suzuki is planning to introduce a new 6-speed gearbox codenamed as MF30, and it will boost the overall performance of the cars. The first car to get the new 6-speed gearbox is likely to be the new Swift which was launched at Auto Expo 2018.
There is no confirmation about which cars will get the 6-speed gearbox, but it is safe to assume that the Baleno, Vitara Brezza, Ciaz and the S-Cross will utilise the new gearbox. The addition of sixth gear comes with several advantages. The primary gain will be the improvement in performance.
The new 6-speed gearbox will improve the fuel efficiency and aids in comfortable cruising speeds without stressing the engine. For example, one can cruise at 80-100km/h in sixth gear instead of fifth. This will improve the overall fuel economy and reduces the stress on the engine.
Previously, Maruti Suzuki had introduced the 6-speed gearbox on the first-gen S-Cross. The 1.6-litre diesel engine was mated to a 6-speed gearbox. But in its facelifted avatar, Maruti Suzuki decided to discontinue the 1.6-litre engine and the 6-speed gearbox.
The reason behind Maruti Suzuki deciding to offer 6-speed gearbox is because of the competition. For example, Hyundai cars such as Elite i20, Verna, Creta and Elantra feature a 6-speed gearbox.
Tata Motors also offer 6-speed gearbox on the Nexon and Hexa. Renault Captur, Duster and Lodgy too utilise a 6-speed gearbox.
DriveSpark's Thoughts On Maruti Suzuki Offering 6-Speed Gearbox
Maruti Suzuki has been a dominant player in the Indian car market with popular cars such as Alto, Swift and Vitara Brezza. But all the cars are equipped with a 5-speed gearbox. With the introduction of the 6-speed transmission, the cars will deliver improved performance and better fuel efficiency.