- BMW M2 Competition Listed On Indian Website — The Best Modern M-Car Should Launch In India Soon!
- Cashless Payment For Fuel To Be Common Soon — Indian Oil Starts Fingerprint Payment In Bhopal
- Polaris India Debuts 83rd PEZ (Polaris Experience Zone) — An Adventure Destination For All Ages
- Driving Licence And RC In Digital Formats Valid — Transport Ministry Notifies The States And Police
- Vimal Sumbly Might Join Royal Enfield Ahead Of Upcoming 650-Twins India Launch
- No Phone Calls While Driving For Bangalore Bus Drivers — BMTC Officials Pass New Instruction
The Government has proposed setting up electric charging stations for electric vehicles in India. According to Economic Times, cities will have EV charging stations at every three kilometres. While highways will get charging points at every 50km distance.
This proposal will initially be implemented in select cities. Including those with a million-plus population and smart cities.
The government will also offer incentives, while also providing land from municipal authorities to those interested in setting up these charging stations.
The charging stations will be set up in a phase-wise manner. This will be spread over the next three to five years. There will be at least two high-charge points and one fast-charge point at every three kilometres in the city limits. While highways will have charging points set up at every 50km.
In total, the government expects a requirement of 30,000 slow-charging points and 15,000 fast-charging stations.
According to a government official, "Land for setting up the charging stations is likely to be identified in consultation with local authorities and electricity distribution utilities and given on long-term lease to companies willing to set up the facilities."
Companies such as NTPC, Power Grid Corp and Indian Oil Corp have already started the process of setting up charging stations.
NTPC has already initiated setting up facilities in Maharashtra. While the Power Grid Corp, recently signed a deal with L&T Metro Rail (Hyderabad) Ltd. They are planning to set up charging points in Hyderabad near its metro stations. This will be for all electric cars and three-wheelers in the city.
Also Read: Scrap Old Car For A New Electric Vehicle And Get Rs 2.5 Lakh From The Government
Thoughts On The Car Charging Stations In India
In recent times, the government is taking up lots of initiatives to promote manufacturing and sales of electric vehicles in India. Recently, the government proposed the reduction of GST rates on EV batteries. While also approving green number plates on electric vehicles, while also providing other incentives.