- BMW 3 Series Gran Turismo Sport Launched In India; Priced At Rs 46.60 Lakh
- BMW E30 3 Series — A Restored Ultimate Driving Machine From India
- BMW 630i GT Luxury Line launched In India; Priced At Rs 61.80 Lakh
- BMW 6-Series GT Diesel Launched In India; Prices Start At Rs 66.50 Lakh
- The Gods Were Not Pleased — BMW 5 Series Catches Fire Amidst Sacred Rituals
- 2019 BMW 8 Series M850i Unveiled — The Ultimate Bavarian Grand Tourer?
BMW has become the second manufacturer after Mercedes-Benz to offer BS-VI compliant engines in its vehicle lineup in India. BMW announced that from the start of April 2018, all its petrol engines will be BS-VI compliant.
The German manufacturer offers petrol engines on most of its models in India which include 3, 3-GT, 5, 6-GT and the 7 Series, all of which are assembled in the company's Chennai plant in India. Apart from these, BMW also offers petrol variants on the Z4, X6, i8 and its entire M range.
Since the petrol engines do not require any major changes to switch to BS-VI compliant technology, there will not be any significant changes in terms of the prices of such models featuring the new engines.
BMW India also has confirmed that these new BS-VI petrol engines will be able to run smoothly on BS-IV grade fuel as well.
With Delhi-NCR becoming the first city in India to supply BS-VI grade fuel, the rest of the country is soon set to follow. The nationwide deadline for the switch to BS-VI technology has been set for April 1, 2020.
BMW though will wait for the BS-VI grade diesel to arrive throughout the country to further introduce BS-VI compliant diesel engines in their lineup. BMW rivals, Mercedes-Benz, has already introduced the BS-VI diesel engine in India on their new S-Class model which can run smoothly on the currently available BS-IV grade diesel.
Thoughts On BMW India Offering BS-VI Compliant Petrol Engines
BMW has become the second carmaker in India after Mercedes-Benz to offer BS-VI compliant engines in its lineup. With the deadline to switch to BS-VI norms coming soon, we will see this technology being implemented soon by other manufacturers as well in the future.