TRENDING ON ONEINDIA
- Operation Khanij Khoj: Why Opening Up Virgin Forests For Iron Ore Is Disastrous For Ballari
- Ayushmann Khurrana's Wife Tahira Kashyap Diagnosed With Stage 0 Breast Cancer!
- Facebook To Soon Unveil New Video Chat Device Called “Portal”
- What Causes Viking Disease And How Does It Develop?
- Agra Has A Red Taj Mahal! Did You Know About It?
- Ford Freestyle To Be Updated With New Features And Colour Option
In the World Car Awards, in 2017, there was a category introduced as the — The Urban Car category and the Volkswagen Polo has taken the honors as the 2018 World Urban Car.
Also, this year marks the sixth time that Volkswagen has won the World Car award since this ceremony started 14 years back.
Previously VW has won the "World Car of the Year" title a total of four times - 2013 (Golf), 2012 (Up!), 2010 (Polo) and 2009 (Golf VI).
The sixth generation of the Polo made its global debut last year. It's larger than its predecessor in all of its dimensions. There's more boot space on offer with 351-litres of luggage storage.
Klaus Bischoff, Head of Volkswagen Design stated, "The whole team at Volkswagen is delighted to have won the 2018 World Urban Car award with the Polo. With around 17 million units sold, the Polo is one of the most successful compact cars of all time and a pillar of the brand. And the sixth-generation, based on the MQB platform, is even sportier and more grown-up than its predecessors."
Vehicles in all award categories are selected and voted on by an international jury panel comprised of 82 top-level automotive journalists from 24 countries around the world. Everyone is appointed by the World Car Steering Committee on the basis of their expertise, experience, credibility, and influence.
Moreover, each juror drives and evaluates new vehicles on a regular basis as part of their professional work. The international accounting firm KPMG tabulates the jurors' ballots.