Volkswagen Submits Recall Roadmap Of 3.23 Lakh Cars Before NGT

Written By:

German auto major Volkswagen submitted a recall roadmap of 3.23 lakh cars in India before the National Green Tribunal. The recalled vehicles were fitted with a defeat device to hide excessive emissions.

A defeat device is a software equipped in the diesel engines to manipulate emission tests. Volkswagen is also in the process of recalling several million cars across the globe.

Volkswagen Submits Recall Roadmap Of 3.23 Lakh Cars Before NGT

In December 2015, Volkswagen India had announced the recall of 3.23 lakh vehicles to fix the emission software. The automaker admitted the use of defeat device in 11 million diesel engine cars sold in the US, Europe and other markets.

Volkswagen Submits Recall Roadmap Of 3.23 Lakh Cars Before NGT

The NGT bench headed by Justice Jawad Rahim said, "The counsel for respondent numbers 4 to 7 (Volkswagen) submits that in compliance of the order dated February 17 they have prepared a roadmap and would be filing the same by tomorrow. He should file it by tomorrow positively, with copies to all the counsels in this case."

Recommended Video
Tata Nexon: Interior And Exterior Details - DriveSpark
Volkswagen Submits Recall Roadmap Of 3.23 Lakh Cars Before NGT

Previously, after the test conducted by Automotive Research Association of India (ARAI), Volkswagen India decided to fix the software by recalling 3.23 lakh cars fitted with EA 189 diesel engines.

Volkswagen Submits Recall Roadmap Of 3.23 Lakh Cars Before NGT

But Volkswagen has said that it was a voluntary recall, and the company is not facing any charges for violating emission norms in the country. The counsel for the automaker had told NGT that, ARAI approved the new software for only 70 percent of the recalled vehicles.

Volkswagen Submits Recall Roadmap Of 3.23 Lakh Cars Before NGT

In reply, ARAI also said that Volkswagen had submitted the redesigned software for only 70 percent of the vehicles. And it is yet to fix the software in remaining 30 percent vehicles.

Volkswagen Submits Recall Roadmap Of 3.23 Lakh Cars Before NGT

DriveSpark Thinks!

Volkswagen admitted the use of defeat device in the diesel vehicles in the US. Since then, the automaker is facing several charges in various markets across the globe. VW Group's brands such as Audi and Porsche are also facing charges in Germany. Now, NGT is investigating the issue in India.

Read more on: #volkswagen
Please Wait while comments are loading...

Latest Photos