- 26 min ago Petrol & Diesel Prices In India To Increase Due To Drone Attacks On Saudi Arabian Oil Fields
- 1 hr ago 2020 TVS Apache RTR 200 4V Specs Leaked: Motorcycle Revised With Upgraded Electronics
- 1 hr ago Bajaj Hikes Prices Of Its Entire Product Lineup: Prices Increased By Up To Rs 10,000
- 4 hrs ago Mahindra Alturas G4 BS-VI Spied Testing In India Ahead Of Launch: Spy Pics & Other Details
- Lifestyle Kangana Ranaut Looks Drop Dead Gorgeous In A Beautiful Glittering Sari At An Award Show
- Sports Sunil Gavaskar raises funds for over 600 child heart surgeries during his USA tour
- Movies Kiara Advani Is A Busy Bee; South Cinema Finding It Hard To Get Her Dates?
- News Indo-US ties on upward trajectory: Jaishankar ahead of PM’s US visit
- Technology Jays m-Seven Truly Wireless Earbuds With 9.5 Hours Battery Life Launched For Rs. 8,999
- Finance Gold And Silver Prices In India Relapse
- Education NIOS Admit Card Released For Class 10 And 12 Sep/Oct 2019 Board Exam
- Travel Cycling for beginners: The basics any beginner cyclists should know
AMT Vs CVT Vs DSG: Automatic transmission-driven cars are slowly becoming more prevalent than manual variants in the Indian market. With a daily increase in traffic comes a decrease in driving interest, and a majority of Indian motorists prefer just two pedals rather than three. Automatic cars are surely the more convenient option in bumper-to-bumper traffic and even for those who are not great at driving.
But automatic cars come in different formats which have differing mechanical workings, namely: AMT, CVT and DSG. For those who care less, any automatic transmission would do. However, those who are concerned about the way their automatic car performs, should definitely know the characteristics of each type of transmission.
That said, here's a comparison between AMT, CVT and DSG!
What is the meaning?
AMT - Automatic Manual Gearbox - the abbreviation says it all. It is a manual gearbox that is automated by using simple technology. The AMT is a clutchless gearbox and the transmission box takes care of the duties of a clutch and removes the hassle of using clutch; helps especially when in traffic.
CVT - Continuously Variable Transmission, this type of gearbox is technologically advanced and is the oldest form of automatic transmissions. It uses a single gear speed for acceleration with ratios that vary according to the speed of the car. It is a more advanced version of the variomatic transmission found in most scooters. Again, it does not involve the use of a clutch.
DSG - Direct Shift Gearbox, this type of gearbox is the most advanced when compared to the above two transmissions. This gearbox is a dual-clutch transmission; although it does not have a clutch pedal for you to use. It will automatically pre-select the next gear in wait for the gear shift command depending on the driving environment. It is hence the quickest when it comes to shifting from one gear to the next.
Which is more reliable?
The reliability of all three transmissions are directly related to the wear and tear, the AMT still uses the clutch mechanism while the CVT does not use a clutch at all. DSG transmissions on the other hand requires a dual clutch mechanism to engage a gear, therefore wearing out the most.
CVT is therefore the most probable gearbox in terms of reliability when it comes to daily commuting which will include traffic and a lot of 'stop and go' driving conditions. This type of gearbox uses a single speed transmission. You might find this high revving & accelerating, however, there is not much of friction as one would find with a multiple-speed gearbox.
CVT Cars: Maruti Suzuki Baleno, Nissan Micra, Honda Jazz and Honda City
The AMT gearbox is reliable too, it is as good as a manual gearbox of a particular model, it just removes the hassle of manual use of the clutch through a pedal. The most important aspect of an AMT is that it is cost effective and it allows one to experience an automatic gearbox in your first car.
AMT Cars: Maruti Suzuki Alto K10, Celerio, Swift DZire, WagonR, Tata Nano GenX, Maruti Suzuki Ritz
As for the DSG, it is reliable when it comes to sports cars, and high-performance driving. DSG cannot be compared to the AMT or CVT, as the performance of the DSG is way too advanced compared to the other two gearboxes.
DSG Cars: Volkswagen Polo, Vento, Jetta, Skoda Octavia, and Skoda Superb