- 1 hr ago Omega Seiki Electric Three-Wheelers With Log 9 Battery Pack Takes 30 Minutes For Full Charge
- 2 hrs ago Piaggio India Opens 100 dealerships In 100 Days: A New Milestone Achieved!
- 3 hrs ago White Carbon Motors GT5 Electric Scooter Launched In India: Prices Start At Rs 1.15 Lakh
- 3 hrs ago The Largest Business Jet Gets Features From Rafale Fighter: Dassault Falcon 10X Unveiled
- Sports FIFA details $5M handed to players claiming unpaid salaries
- Finance 11 Top 5G Tech Stocks To Invest In India 2021 Which May Become Multibaggers In This Decade
- Lifestyle Priyanka Chopra Jonas’ Goddess Kali Jacket Has Gone Viral; Some Don’t Like It But We Love It; Details Inside!
- Movies Nick Jonas Spills A Bedroom Secret Of Him And Wife Priyanka Chopra And Its Unmissable
- News Major Opposition parties write to PM Modi, demand free mass vaccination, suspension of Central Vista project
- Education Akshaya Tritiya 2021: Know The Significance Behind The Celebration Of This Festival
- Travel Places To Visit In Puducherry In May 2021
- Technology Poco M3 Pro 5G Launch Scheduled On May 19; Another Rebranded Redmi Smartphone?
The Ministry of Road Transport & Highways (MoRTH) has announced that starting 1st January 2021, FASTag will be made mandatory for all four-wheelers across the country. This includes old vehicles, which fall under the 'M' and 'N' category of motor vehicles (four-wheelers), sold on or before the 1st December 2017.
As per the Central Motor Vehicles Rules, 1989, FASTag had been made mandatory since December 2017, for all four-wheelers at the time of registrations. The rules further state that going forward the fitness certificate will be renewed only after the fitment of FASTag.
It also stated that a valid FASTag will be required while getting a new 3rd party insurance, which will capture the details on the FASTag ID. This new process is scheduled to be applicable with effect from 1st April 2021.
The government is said to have taken steps to ensure the availability of FASTags across a number of physical locations across the country. Motorists can also purchase the FASTag ID online, within the next two months.
MoRTH has announced that going forward, it plans to make all toll plaza payments to be made exclusively via electronic means. This according to the government will reduce the waiting time at highway tolls and ensure a seamless movement of vehicles.
FASTag is a prepaid RFID(Radio Frequency Identification) tag which is fixed on the front windshield of four-wheelers. The tag automatically deducts the toll charges, allowing to make direct payment as soon as the vehicle closes in at a toll plaza. The FASTag can either be prepaid or linked to a savings account, allowing vehicles to pass through tolls, without the necessity of stopping.
The FASTag currently comes fixed with the purchase of a new car. People with older cars can purchase the FASTag from a number of locations, including a few banks or even online, depending on their convenience.
Thoughts On FASTag Being Made Mandatory For Old Vehicles
FASTag is an electronic toll payment method, which has been implemented on all new cars in the market. Now, with the government's plans to make the entire toll payment, exclusively via electronic means, all older vehicles will also need to mandatorily get the RFID tag.