- 12 min ago Maruti Suzuki S-Presso Claims To Be Safer In South-Africa Than India: Offers More Safety Features
- 1 hr ago Bike Sales Report For November 2020: Bajaj Auto Registers 12% Yearly Growth
- 14 hrs ago BigRock Dirtpark Trail Attack Challenge 2020: A Race Weekend With The Royal Enfield Himalayan
- 15 hrs ago Mahindra Thar Price Increase Expected In The Next Few Days: Here Are All Details
- Movies Remo D'Souza Reveals Late Saroj Khan Wanted Him To Make Her Biopic
- Sports India vs Australia | Aaron Finch names three players who can replace David Warner
- Finance These 3 NPS Facilities Are Now Available Online
- News Watch: Honeybees swarm land on two flights at Kolkata airport
- Technology Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra Clears BIS Certification; India Launch Imminent
- Lifestyle World AIDS Day: Common HIV Symptoms In Women You Shouldn’t Ignore
- Travel 10 Best Places To Visit In Rajasthan In December
- Education COMEDK UGET 2020 Seat Allotment Result Declared At comedk.org
The Ministry of Road Transport & Highways (MoRTH) has announced that starting 1st January 2021, FASTag will be made mandatory for all four-wheelers across the country. This includes old vehicles, which fall under the 'M' and 'N' category of motor vehicles (four-wheelers), sold on or before the 1st December 2017.
As per the Central Motor Vehicles Rules, 1989, FASTag had been made mandatory since December 2017, for all four-wheelers at the time of registrations. The rules further state that going forward the fitness certificate will be renewed only after the fitment of FASTag.
It also stated that a valid FASTag will be required while getting a new 3rd party insurance, which will capture the details on the FASTag ID. This new process is scheduled to be applicable with effect from 1st April 2021.
The government is said to have taken steps to ensure the availability of FASTags across a number of physical locations across the country. Motorists can also purchase the FASTag ID online, within the next two months.
MoRTH has announced that going forward, it plans to make all toll plaza payments to be made exclusively via electronic means. This according to the government will reduce the waiting time at highway tolls and ensure a seamless movement of vehicles.
FASTag is a prepaid RFID(Radio Frequency Identification) tag which is fixed on the front windshield of four-wheelers. The tag automatically deducts the toll charges, allowing to make direct payment as soon as the vehicle closes in at a toll plaza. The FASTag can either be prepaid or linked to a savings account, allowing vehicles to pass through tolls, without the necessity of stopping.
The FASTag currently comes fixed with the purchase of a new car. People with older cars can purchase the FASTag from a number of locations, including a few banks or even online, depending on their convenience.
Thoughts On FASTag Being Made Mandatory For Old Vehicles
FASTag is an electronic toll payment method, which has been implemented on all new cars in the market. Now, with the government's plans to make the entire toll payment, exclusively via electronic means, all older vehicles will also need to mandatorily get the RFID tag.