- 10 hrs ago Hyundai India Exports Over 5,000 Cars In May After Resuming Operations
- 11 hrs ago Volkswagen T-Roc Start Arriving At Dealerships Post Lockdown: Deliveries To Commence Soon
- 12 hrs ago MG ZS EV Bookings To Reopen On June 1: Will Be Introduced In Six New Cities
- 15 hrs ago Toyota Urban Cruiser SUV: Expected Launch Date, Prices, Specs, Features & Rivals Explained
- Technology Week 24, 2020 Launch Roundup: Infinix Hot 9, Gionee K6, Vivo Y70s 5G, Realme 6s And More
- Sports Bayern Munich 5-0 Fortuna Dusseldorf: Champions move 10 points clear
- Movies Soorarai Pottru Will Release In Theaters, Confirms Suriya!
- News MEA lists Vande Bharat mission, COVID medical supplies to 154 countries among key achievements
- Lifestyle Natural Remedies And Simple Tricks To Stop Hiccups
- Finance These Stocks Have Outdone Nifty's Fall In March; Gained Up To 78% During Lockdown
- Travel 10 Best Places To Visit In North India In June
- Education CBSE Cyber Safety Handbook For Students Classes 9 To 12
Volkswagen Group has officially become the biggest car company in the world as of 2018; consistently maintaining its top position yet again. The company which comprises of the brands: Volkswagen Passenger Vehicles, Volkswagen Commercial, Porsche, Lamborghini, Bentley, Audi, Skoda, Man and Scania; has sold 10.83 million vehicles across the globe last year.
The figure is 0.07 million units higher compared to the sales in 2017; translating to a growth of 0.8 per cent. Following close is Renault-Nissan-Mitsubishi group with a global sales record of 10.76 million units in 2018 which is 1.4 per cent higher than that of 2017 (10.61 million).
Renault-Nissan-Mitsubishi managed to clock this figure despite facing some internal challenges back in November 2018. Carlos Ghosn, Ex-Chairman and CEO of Nissan, was arrested on account of some financial misconduct — read the details here.
Coming third on the list is the Japanese auto giant, Toyota Group, which includes Lexus and Daihatsu as well. Toyota globally sold 10.59 million units last year in comparison to 10.38 million back in 2017. The recorded global sales growth is 2 per cent.
General Motors (GM), the American automotive group, comes in the fourth position with brands such as Chevrolet, Buick, GMC, Cadillac, Holden, etc., as subsidiaries. 2018 sales were relatively low compared to the topper, at eight million. The brand discontinued their Indian operations back in 2017 (exports are still active).
Hyundai (along with Kia Motors) grabbed the fifth place by closing the year at 7.4 million units in sales. Kia Motors will soon mark their debut in India and have already revealed some details of their first product — check out the latest updates on Kia Motors India.
Holding a few other top-10 positions on the list of Biggest Car Companies In The World are BMW Group (+ MINI, Rolls-Royce), Mercedes-Benz (+ Smart), Ford (+ Lincoln) and Honda Cars (+ Acura).
Meanwhile, Maruti Suzuki is the biggest car seller in India; followed by Hyundai India.
Thoughts On The Biggest Car Companies In The World
The automotive world has been witnessing a steep growth rate in the past decade and is expected to grow even more in the years to come. With the evolution, various trends have also emerged in the form of alternative fuels, electrification, purchase through subscription, etc. All the global automotive leaders have started concentrating in this regard as well.